changes to Youth Allowance? (1 Viewer)

Thecorey0

HSC
Since the startup and relocation scholarships are being handed out on April 1st, but the raising of the parental income test threshold isn't being raised until july 1st, does this mean the scholarships won't be awarded to those who are newly elgible for Youth allowance under the changed rules?

johony

HSC
not until the beginning of the second semester unfortunately

Trentyboi

HSC
The only significant change is that the '19k in 18mths' test has been abolished.
It hasn't been abolished, it'll be abolished as of July 1. At least, I hope to God it is, otherwise I'm fucked because I earned that money before these changes came to effect, just I couldn't apply because I haven't been out of school for over 18 months.

If they fuck me over that way, I'm going to get my parents to say (in letter) that they won't support me in any means. Even though I've lived out of home for over a year, supporting myself to every dollar.

I need clarification, even Centrelink doesn't know jack at the moment.

Trentyboi

HSC
I read somewhere that as long as you finished school in 08 you will still be able to apply under the 19k in 18 months provision.
Cool, that's me! But God damn, Centrelink staff (and their website) aren't clarifying shit for me.

The closest I could find is this

Centrelink said:
Tightening the criteria for independence

From 1 July 2010, there will be changes to the rules that allow young people to demonstrate their independence by supporting themselves through paid employment (sometimes called the 'gap year provisions' or the 'workforce participation criteria').

Nothing specifically about the 75% test, however, in the 'changes in April', it makes no note about changing the criteria for independence (except age).

I think I'm okay. It's just, I did what they asked, I've already earned the monies necessary for independence. It's just that I did it earlier than the maximum allocated time, I don't think I should be punished for proving to be 'more' independent than the minimum level of independence. Assuming the government follows logic, I should be okay. I just wish there was certain clarification....

If anyone has ANYTHING, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't intend to be a scab off of the government, it's just, I plan on studying abroad next year and my parents aren't going to support me (like they aren't now), and if I'm on youth allowance, I can continue receiving payments abroad. Whilst I receive payments in Aus, I'm still going to work, just a bit less.

izzy88

HSC
It hasn't been abolished, it'll be abolished as of July 1. At least, I hope to God it is, otherwise I'm fucked because I earned that money before these changes came to effect, just I couldn't apply because I haven't been out of school for over 18 months.

If they fuck me over that way, I'm going to get my parents to say (in letter) that they won't support me in any means. Even though I've lived out of home for over a year, supporting myself to every dollar.

I need clarification, even Centrelink doesn't know jack at the moment.
What exact date is 18 months after you finished school? (ie. i think you need to find out when Centrelink counts you as having finished school- is it your last HSC exam etc?) If it is before July 1 2010, and you apply to Centrelink before July 1, then you will be safe.

However, if the 18 month date is after July 1, then you may be in trouble. The abolition of the 19grand in 18 months things comes into effect July 1, thus if you apply after this date, on that basis of independence, you will not get centrelink. HOWEVER, there are some exceptions to this:

Transitional arrangement for 2009 'gap year' students
There are transitional arrangements in place to ensure that students who took a gap year in 2009 to work and earn the amount required to meet the independence rules, with the intention of undertaking higher education in 2010, are not disadvantaged by the changes to the independence criteria.

Between 1 July 2010 and 31 December 2010, you can be assessed as independent if you are considered a 'gap year' student. This means that:

you completed secondary studies in 2008, and
you weren't a full-time student in 2009 (that is, you took a gap year in 2009 to work and earn the amount required to meet the independence rules), and
throughout 2009 you intended to commence full-time study in higher education in 2010, and
you will commence full-time study in an approved scholarship course between 1 January 2010 and 31 December 2010.
In addition to being a 2009 'gap year' student, you must meet one of the following conditions:

you need to live away from your parent's home to study because it takes more than 90 minutes to travel by public transport from your parent's home to your university or institution (including waiting and walking times), or
your parents' combined income in 2008-09 was less than $150,000.
ie. If you apply for youth allowance independence on the basis of the money earnt criteria after July 1, you will only get it if you:
a) took a gap year in 2009 and
b) need to live away from home because it takes 90 min travel by public transport from home to uni OR your parents combined income is less than $150,000.

This is my understanding of the requirements in any case...i hope you are able to work it out and get youth allowance!

also note:
From January 2011 students who live in very remote, remote and outer regional areas who have to move away from home to study and whose parents earn less than $150,000 a year will be eligible for independence under the existing rules. (from centrelink website).

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
I reckon parental means testing is nothing short of discrimination - which parents have enough liquid capital to easily spare $10k+ a yr for each child? Sure, rich parents might be able to sell assets etc but that's not to say they will.

End result... kids with poor parents have an easier time at uni than kids with rich parents

If the Gov is gonna treat 'rich' families as amalgamated financial entities in regards to income transfers, I reckon they have a corresponding obligation to treat them likewise in regards to reverse income transfers (=tax)

I.e. parents should be able to equally spread income among all dependents to lower their average tax rate

Last edited:

hscishard

HSC
Student Income Support Reform Measure* Implementation Date*
New Student Start-up Scholarship* 1 April 2010*
New Relocation Scholarship* 1 April 2010*

at the bottom of the 'overview' page
Lol I thought you tried to make an early april fools joke.

johony

HSC
maybe the government is making an april fools joke~!!!

Trentyboi

HSC
Carrying on from my bitching before. My parents don't make lots of liquid revenue, it's only because of their rental properties (which is pretty much their long-term investment because they don't want superannuation) that I'm ineligible for youth allowance.

Why can't Centrelink just put on their website: As of this date we will no longer accept applicants using the 75% of minimal earnings method of independence?

I'm going to email them tonight I guess. Probably won't get a reply until I am able to apply for it anyways.

Edit:

On another note, government is stinge. They're going to pay out 'new semester' payments in April because they know no one that graduated in '08 can apply until May. I'll be content with that, as long as I can still apply for youth allowance, missing out of $650 or so won't matter.

Last edited:
HSC
Okay, I'm an 08 grad, but I studied full time last year. I lost my YA at the beginning of this year for earning too much, but I've now earnt enough to qualify under the 19k in 18 months provision.

Do you think that the fact that I studied full time in 08 will make a difference? The centrelink website is as useless as always, so yeh, any ideas?

Trentyboi

HSC
Yeah, they're quite ambiguous with their wording, aren't they?

Shitty thing is, even though we've earned enough money to get youth allowance, we have to wait the whole 18 months before we can start receiving payments. And I don't think we can even apply until a few weeks before 18 months.

HSC
I know, I mean I only just earnt over the limit but I did that working part time (albeit fulltime with overtime and shiz over the christmas holidays) and studying full time.

Do you know when the 18 months is up? If its 18 months from when you actually finished school (as in graduation) then I'm good. If its 18 months from your last exam, then I only have to wait a few weeks. But if its not until this July, then for me there was no point, as I will qualify under the new parental income provisions.

Trentyboi

HSC
It's from when you graduated from high school. For me that was in the middle of November, when did you graduate?

In NSW/Vic you graduate earlier, don't you? But then again, in QLD we finish school a year earlier than you guys. If I was in the NSW/Vic system, I'd not be eligible to get youth allowance, so I don't mind having to wait a bit longer.

I hope Centrelink doesn't expect you to show your date of graduation (as in, your certificate of graduation). I mean, I'm in my second year of university, it should be a given that I graduated in the end of '08, considering my age. No biggie, I'll just have to drive down to the Gold Coast to get it from my parents if necessary.

Since I can start receiving it in the middle of May, I'm going to apply at the beginning of May.

I also studied full time, and worked on the side. Christmas holiday work was what ensured that I would make enough money.

Edit: I won't be able to apply under the new provisions, because my parents still have too much assets... >.>

HSC
I graduated in October, but I didn't finish exams until the end of November. I'm in Perth though.
I'm going to head down there this afternoon and ask anyway, I'm sure noone at centrelink will know any better but its better than speculating, right?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Yeah, they're quite ambiguous with their wording, aren't they?

Shitty thing is, even though we've earned enough money to get youth allowance, we have to wait the whole 18 months before we can start receiving payments. And I don't think we can even apply until a few weeks before 18 months.
they backtrack the payments to the date you applied. so u'll get a lump sum at first.

HSC
Okay, I went in there today. According to the woman I spoke to, you need a letter from your school stating the final day that you attended classes there, and the 18 months counts from that day. Not so bad for me, seeing as my brother still goes to that school, but for others that could be a real hassle :(

Basically, they didn't want to help me. Everything I asked, her answer was, oh you need to do that online.

FFS.

izzy88

HSC
Okay, I went in there today. According to the woman I spoke to, you need a letter from your school stating the final day that you attended classes there, and the 18 months counts from that day. Not so bad for me, seeing as my brother still goes to that school, but for others that could be a real hassle :(
that's good though. That means that the 18 months should be up before july, and you can apply under the old provisions (for the 19grand, 18 months independence test, if that is what you are going for).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)