• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Changing assignment due date (1 Viewer)

idling fire

HSC
I was just wondering how common it is for a lecturer to change the due date of an assignment.

For example:
The lecturer gave the assignment out a couple of months before it was due, with the due date written on the sheet. About a month into it, he realised he'd given us 2 extra weeks than he wanted to (the error was "brought to [his] attention"), so he changed the date to what he originally meant. We were informed of this with just over a month remaining before the 'new' ('intended') date.

Anyway, how often do they do that sort of thing?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
It happened a couple of times for me, but it was only like a few days as opposed to a couple of weeks (e.g. the lecturer wanted the assignments in the lecture on monday as opposed to in the tutorial on friday).

However, in my experiences, it's more common that we get an extension to our assignments because they haven't been teaching the material fast enough, especially for the advanced stream of a subject.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
If you were really concerned about it, I guess you could go to the SRC and ask if there's anything they can do to stop lecturers changing assesment due dates like that.

neafoo

HSC
First semester it happened to me with 3 assignments, but they were all pushed BACK. I've never had one pushed forward.

el gwapo

HSC
linguistics has always been pushed forward, owing to one delay EVERYTHING is now a couple of weeks ahead.

I guess it'll depend on the department. Some emphasize proof-reading but they can't get printouts checked properly. Australia's oldest university - a real dinosaur at times

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah usually stuff gets pushed back.

I've had it happen a few times when
- the book wasn't available in the coop on time, so nobody had read it
- the due date was a public holiday
- we've had tutes postponed due to wet weather, so we won't have finished the material in time.

Pushed forwards is a bit nasty, but I can't imagine many people would have started an essay that's due in a month.

leslie229

HSC
yehhh its alredy happened to me twice this siesta.. errr.. semester

once was because they sold out of the book at co-op and at Glee books, the other time was because they were too slow in putting the info up on the web.

I'm like, who cares if they put it up too slow, I don't start til the last week anyway hehehe :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i hate when someone "brings it to their attention" that something is due too late. it happened a few times back in high school as well and i was that close to stabbing them in the eye with my biro...like wtf put a sock in your academic integrity and let us keep the extra week you homo. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)