Changing Role of the Princeps - What is it asking you about? (1 Viewer)

Montato

HSC
Yeah, the question is pretty much evident in the tite:

What does "changing role of the princeps" require you to talk about?

I'm lost for this syllabus dot point.

Thanks for any help.

boris2003

HSC
is this for the julio-claudians, why don't you just do augustus, it's much easier and more simpler. Anyway, i think that's how the emperors changed over the time, for example Gaius, Caligula was good in the beginning, respected the senate, got rid of maiestas, abolished unfavourable taxes, etc. When he got ill he mis-treated the senate, made anyone suffer who opposed and rose against him, he saw himself as a god, a divine, all the citizens were convinced that he is divine, his regin became dictatorial to the point where the praetorian guard had to take necessary precautions and execute him. I think that's, same for the others, like Nero was in good relations with his mother, but thatnks to a strong influence of Burrus and Senneca, he turned against her, and on the end killed her. Tiberius made Sejanus in conttrol of the empire while he was at Capri, later when he found out his schemes, he killed him, his family and relatives ruthleslly, also he was very polite and respected the senate, however as the senators and consuls became more demandable, he thought they were "man free to be slavs", so on.
Cheers, i think that's it.

Budweez

HSC
Changing role of the princeps is divided into several sections
you should answer an essay question on this point thermatically, not chronologically

1. How the position was gained
  2. Powers/Honours/Titles
  3. Religion
  4. Judicial
  5. Electoral
basically you just talk about how each emperor changed the way in which the government functioned.

say for power, you talk about a shift of power toward/away from the senate depending on emperors

i hope that helped somewhat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)