Changing subjects for year 11? (1 Viewer)

Disclosure

HSC
Hey there!

I'm currently faced with an issue... whether I should drop Chemistry or Physics and change to Business Studies.

This is my logic;
Chemistry:
- Pros - High Scaling, Seems fairly straight forward compared to physics, All family friends and friends say that I should keep Chemistry rather than Physics, Pre-requisites in university.
- Cons - I think the content is dry and I find it uninteresting as I feel like it has little significance with my life (I mean atoms, and the process of separating this and that, lol what.) , The teacher I have seems like they take the subject too lightly/doesn't exert knowledge in a way students can understand so class is very dreadful (at this stage), Up Against many 'tutored' students who know the content very well (honestly quite daunting and quite a downer for self-esteem. you know what i mean.)

Physics
- Pros - I find it Interesting and more significant in terms of application in real life (it's all around you), I look forward to the class mainly because the teacher is very nice and the class is all snug (like a womb. lol.)
- Cons - I find it difficult to grasp the concepts quickly as it is not very straight-forward and requires abstract thinking or whatever, I'm not an expertise in maths, people are telling me that chemistry is better than physics

Insecurity much?
So why do I want to pick Business Studies?
Pros - Science Overload!? nah, I feel as if I can nail it down with its straightforward(??) concepts, I feel more confident towards it as I enjoyed commerce and humanities subjects in my junior years in high school, It is more relatable and significant to me as my family runs businesses.
Cons - People are telling me that lul, you don't need to do business because you can do it in uni and it's not a pre-requisite (not much concerned about that), it will prevent you from maximising your ATAR and the content is sometimes dry(?? apparently ??)

- I don't know what I want to do in university but I know I definitely do not want to do health sciences or do UMAT. Because honestly, I don't have a conceptual abstract mindset, but I love learning how things work and how it affects us in everyday situations, ya know what i'm sayin'?. I'm thinking along the lines of Commerce but hey, i'm not quite sure yet!

And... Yes I know what you're all thinking... "You've only been in the grade for less than 3 days!? How could you be so sure at this moment in time." I agree with y'all however, I would just like to see what YOUR RESPONSES are, If I do decide to drop chem or physics. Just to give me some rough ideas and guidance to where I should go. Teens are full of uncertainty and we need direction! or, maybe I do.

I would love to hear your insights on the subjects I mentioned, your opinion, your theories or thoughts, what would you do in my situation, what will happen in the future if i take a certain path, alternative options etc. !

Thanks, Much appreciated!

enoilgam

HSC
With subject selections, I am firmly of the belief that you should pick subjects which you think you will be good at and enjoy. I wouldnt really pay to much attention to scaling unless you're aiming for a really high ATAR and even then I would still try to play to your strengths and interests. With regards to university and stuff, I wouldnt worry about linking HSC courses to a uni degree (i.e. you pick Legal Studies only because you want to do Law at Uni). I would only suggest picking a HSC subject for uni if it was a pre-requisite or assumed knowledge or if you thought you would be good at the subject and enjoy it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do what you like. In this case, Business Studies.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Always do what you like, naturally if you like a subject, you'll perform well and performing well will get you that ATAR!

ataratar

HSC
Yes do what you like (business studies.) But according to what you said, i think you would be better of dropping the physics instead of chemistry especially if chemistry is the pre-requisite you need for university :)

Troller

Lol
HSC
There's quite a bit of work for Business mostly rote learning but it's a really good subject IMO

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If high scaling is your only pro for chem for doing chem, don't do it. You will be miserable and it is a tough subject where a large chunk of the candidature is tutored. High scaling won't override great marks in other subs, often I see with people with 12 units, the "highest scaler" not counting due to it being weaker than their other subs anyway.

Physics, you sound more keen on then chem but...

It appears to me you really want to do business studies. If I learnt anything from my HSC stint, it's choose the subjects you like instead of going for high scalers(consideration for super lowly scaling subjects like Gen Maths/Aboriginal studies etc.), or trying to cover every uni prerequisite or something. Business rewards those that know their content back to front and often the B6ers are the ones that like the subject. If you have a mind for it, I think Business and Eco are both highly logical subjects and you can play to your strengths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)