changing subjects (1 Viewer)

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
hey if ur in yr 11 doing a subject ( say bus. studies) and wanna change that subject to say eco, in yr 12 are you allowed to do that ?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
No, unless you're doing Economics this year as well. You have to complete the Preliminary Course of a subject before you can complete the HSC Course. You can drop Business Studies next year (as long as you still have at least 10 units), but you can't pick up entirely new subjects. The only exceptions are the Year 12 specific Extensions, e.g. Ext. 2 Maths, Ext. History, etc.

I_F

A l

HSC
N/A
pzellanet said:
hey if ur in yr 11 doing a subject ( say bus. studies) and wanna change that subject to say eco, in yr 12 are you allowed to do that ?
If you want to change courses, do that NOW. You can still change courses provided that you can get your head teacher and principal's approval, that you can complete the requirements for the Preliminary course.

A l

HSC
N/A
In the case of Year 12, you cannot change courses, but you can withdraw from them. An extract from a Board of Studies information booklet:
"Early in the year your school will submit an entry to the Board showing those courses that you expect to complete that year.

If you wish to change courses after the entries have been submitted, you need to apply to the school principal.

In the case of Preliminary courses, the principal will allow a change of course provided that he or she is satisfied that the student can satisfactorily complete the new Preliminary course before commencing study of the HSC course.

Student studying an HSC course may not change course unless the principal is satisfied that they:
- have satisfactorily completed Preliminary component (or equivalent) of the course they wish to enter
- will be able to complete all HSC course requirements, including assessment.

Contact your Year Adviser, principal or Board of Studies Liaison Officer for a full explanation about changing courses.
"

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm in a similar situation with English Standard and English Advanced.

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
see my prob is i switched schools and i really liked eco but now im stuck with business studies and im finding it heaps boring spec since they dont offer eco at my school which is gay

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
how do u do that ? so can u do like 10 units at ur school and do like eco by corresspondance?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately Open High School offers language courses for the HSC and wouldn't be a viable option, there is SSDEC: www.ssdec.nsw.edu.au/
You can I believe do one subject of your HSC at another institution apart from your main school.

pzella

PzELLa
HSC
u mean like clustering ? i thought most schools only do that for vet courses...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pzellanet said:
u mean like clustering ? i thought most schools only do that for vet courses...
They do it mainly for VET courses at TAFE or Languages with Open High School, however SSDEC also serves this purpose(along with its other services) for its subjects which it states somewhere on the site.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
AI, you're completely wrong about the whole 'if you want to change, change NOW' business.. half the years gone already so his/her BoS outcomes that he/she is required to meet will not be able to be fulfilled eg the outcomes which state that a student must spend a certain number of hours in the class room environment etc

A l

HSC
N/A
sf_diegoxrock said:
AI, you're completely wrong about the whole 'if you want to change, change NOW' business.. half the years gone already so his/her BoS outcomes that he/she is required to meet will not be able to be fulfilled eg the outcomes which state that a student must spend a certain number of hours in the class room environment etc
"Early in the year your school will submit an entry to the Board showing those courses that you expect to complete that year.

If you wish to change courses after the entries have been submitted, you need to apply to the school principal.

In the case of Preliminary courses, the principal will allow a change of course provided that he or she is satisfied that the student can satisfactorily complete the new Preliminary course before commencing study of the HSC course.

Student studying an HSC course may not change course unless the principal is satisfied that they:
- have satisfactorily completed Preliminary component (or equivalent) of the course they wish to enter
- will be able to complete all HSC course requirements, including assessment.

Contact your Year Adviser, principal or Board of Studies Liaison Officer for a full explanation about changing courses."

You can still fullfil syllabus requirements by alternative methods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)