Chem 101? (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
hey guys,

it says in the handbook that the Chem-101 unit does not require any previous chemistry experience (i.e. non-hsc), is this true? Because I am interested in undertaking chemistry first year, however i didnt do it for the hsc- any personal thoughts ?

and also...I am undertaking a BSc-Psych, my subject choices are (for first semester)

PSY-104
PHYS-140
CHEM-101 (maybe)
STAT-170

is that combination too burdensome?

should i go for life sciences (i.e. Biology, geology, etc)..what are some science good units that tie in with psych first year?- as I am doing a BSc-Psych

any help to any of my queries would be greatly appreciated...

Matt.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
is it an elective?

with electives, MY philosophy is to do ones that you are going to get best marks in.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Sciences take up a lot of time, so do them only if you know you will go well. If you like Chem then do it but if its just a passing curiosity i suggest you dont. but thats just opinion, so good luck either way.

I thought you can view the psych as a science major, so you dont have to do any othe sciences (thus Bart and Bsciences can be identical), but maybe i am wrong.

televators

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Sciences take up a lot of time, so do them only if you know you will go well. If you like Chem then do it but if its just a passing curiosity i suggest you dont. but thats just opinion, so good luck either way.

I thought you can view the psych as a science major, so you dont have to do any othe sciences (thus Bart and Bsciences can be identical), but maybe i am wrong.
yeah, however first year we have to fill it up with all electives, as we only have 3 core subjects (PSY-104, PSY-105 and STAT-170)- second and third years are pretty much all psych,...

Physics and Chemistry were my strong science points throughout high school, i didnt do Chem in year 12 for the mere fact that music was on the same line, in which I was guaranteed a good mark, lol

so we an choose electives from other divisions besides science in a Bsc-Psych?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Umm...I think you can do a certain number of non science credit pts for first year in the BSc-Psych. Not exactly sure how many though. In 2nd and 3rd year you should be able to pick from wherever as most of your units will already be PSY anyway. Try looking up your degree rules at www.cal.mq.edu.au

chocobo

y0y0
HSC
GoodToGo said:
Umm...I think you can do a certain number of non science credit pts for first year in the BSc-Psych. Not exactly sure how many though. In 2nd and 3rd year you should be able to pick from wherever as most of your units will already be PSY anyway. Try looking up your degree rules at www.cal.mq.edu.au
You sure!? Im trying to find some though....need extra 6 credit points so if you do please post it here too! or PM we either will do

televators

HSC
chocobo said:
You sure!? Im trying to find some though....need extra 6 credit points so if you do please post it here too! or PM we either will do
dont worry, they consider psych as a science, so if ur in enrolled in a BSc-Psych- im pretty sure what we cover at 200 and 300 level as compulsory covers the science requirement...meh i chose mostly science subjects anyways- chem, anatomy, histology....and philosophy

sillychikki

HSC
a few things to consider...

I don't know if this will help, but I know heaps of ppl who did chem 101 last year. It doesn't require any hsc chem knowledge, and covers a few things from prelim and hsc chem as well as throwing in a couple of things ppl weren't taught in chem at high school.

However, from what i heard, they merged chem 101 and 102 this year... is that the case? Because i did chem 102 and it was really really hard! Chem 101 was hard enough for beginner chemists, let alone a chem 101/102 blend. I know its a lot to think about, but consider any prerequisites for 200-level subjects. If you want to do chem in second year, you obviously have to do chem 101. But if you want to do 200-level biology later on, I'd do biol 114 ... you need about 6 credit points in 100-level biology to do practically all 200-level. Plus it's easy to pass and brings up your gpa just in case you don't like BSc-Psych.

Hope this helps, goodluck!

televators

HSC
sillychikki said:
I don't know if this will help, but I know heaps of ppl who did chem 101 last year. It doesn't require any hsc chem knowledge, and covers a few things from prelim and hsc chem as well as throwing in a couple of things ppl weren't taught in chem at high school.

However, from what i heard, they merged chem 101 and 102 this year... is that the case? Because i did chem 102 and it was really really hard! Chem 101 was hard enough for beginner chemists, let alone a chem 101/102 blend. I know its a lot to think about, but consider any prerequisites for 200-level subjects. If you want to do chem in second year, you obviously have to do chem 101. But if you want to do 200-level biology later on, I'd do biol 114 ... you need about 6 credit points in 100-level biology to do practically all 200-level. Plus it's easy to pass and brings up your gpa just in case you don't like BSc-Psych.

Hope this helps, goodluck!
yea, well im going over the prelim/ HSC course from a few mates old textbooks, doesnt seem too tedious....there was a CHEM-102? argh, lol- o well im enrolled now, we'll just have to wait and see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)