chem-dispersion forces (1 Viewer)

zinc

HSC
Does anyone understand why are dispersion forces greater when there are more electrons?

undalay

HSC
More electrons that can be aligned to one side; causing a larger temporary dipole?

undalay

HSC
humglish said:
I may be wrong, but wouldn't more electrons mean that the molecular weight would be larger, (seeing as electrons = protons) and the intermolcular forces get stronger with increasing molecular weight.
Other way around i believe. The greater the molecular weight = more protons = more electrons = greater temporary dipoles.

The molecular weight itself doesn't determine anything.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
humglish said:
I may be wrong, but wouldn't more electrons mean that the molecular weight would be larger, (seeing as electrons = protons) and the intermolcular forces get stronger with increasing molecular weight.
Electrons are smaller and opposite in charge how are they like protons ?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think she means the same number of protons as electrons in the atom.

eddy11

HSC
As the molecular weight increases, the number of atoms and hence electrons increase. Electrons randomly move around, not in even orbits as one might imagine. So at any time there could be (for example) 8 electrons on one side of an atom and 16 on another. This creates the temporary dipole-dipole or dispersion force. The more atoms/ larger molecular weight/more elctrons in a molecule, the more random movement of electrons to cause one side to be more negative and other positive = more temporary dipole-dipole's.

i hope this helps and doesn't come too late.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
hai humglish :wave: drop the chem and come back to me plz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)