• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chem Help (2 Viewers)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At our school we've started the chem course. But i'm really behind in the Preliminary Course because I've out of class constantly for school service.

Does anyone know where I could find worksheets/exercises that help on:

-UIPAC (nomenclature) naming (Mainly carbon compounds).
-Writing redox reactions
-Balancing equations (hardones)
-Questions on Moles (i need a lot of those) Stoic chemistry stuff.
-Writing word equations.
-Bonds (how do I know if it's Hydrogen or Ionic or Covalent).

And if anyone can suggest the usually topics in yr11 that are tested in the HSC.

d_elmo

HSC
sorry to tell u but all of those things u listed are really really important in chem
i suggest u go for the green macquarie study guide thinggo, it helped me a lot :)

tennille

HSC
Ionic bonds usually occur with metals. Covalent bonds usually occur with non- metals (except berylllium which can form covalent bonds). Hydrogen bonds occur when O or H bonds are available. They occur in polar substances (ethanol- C2H5OH can form hydrogen bonding with water- H2O).

For redox reactions, you'll get a table of standard potentials. They are written in reduction form so to write it in oxidation form, you have to write it the reverse way (most chemistry text books have hte table)

No year 11 topics are tested in the HSC. You just have to know redox reactions and molar stuff and thats it.

Whatever you learn in the HSC is all you will get tested on. Just follow the year 12 syllabus.

Last edited:

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
None of the prelimenary is tested in the HSC, but it supplies you with the basic understanding needed for the HSC content.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
Ionic bonds usually occur with metals. Covalent bonds usually occur with non- metals (except berylllium which can form covalent bonds). Hydrogen bonds occur when O or H bonds are available. They occur in polar substances (ethanol- C2H5OH can form hydrogen bonding with water- H2O).

For redox reactions, you'll get a table of standard potentials. They are written in reduction form so to write it in oxidation form, you have to write it the reverse way (most chemistry text books have hte table)

No year 11 topics are tested in the HSC. You just have to know redox reactions and molar stuff and thats it.

Whatever you learn in the HSC is all you will get tested on. Just follow the year 12 syllabus.
just adding on here

ionic is actually between metals and non metals, more technically speaking, between elements of highly different electronegativities...remember the key thing with ionic bonding is that there is a TRANSFERRAL of electrons (unlike covalent bonding, where the atoms share electrons with eachother). For eg NaCl...Sodium will lose one electron and give it up to Chlorine, to gain its outer shell- this is ionic bonding. Rememeber ionic substances in terms of structure are in a LATTICE held together by electrostatic forces (forces between positive and negative ions) IN NaCl after sodium loses an electron is becomes positive Na+, chroline gains one to be Cl-...the charges help hold the salt together.

Covalent bonding is between non metals more technically elements of SIMILAR electronegativity, eg h20, the electrons are shared (look at a lewis dot sturcture diagram).

Hydrogen bonding is a special type of dipole dipole bonding, which occurs with the highlye elctronegative elements F, O and N.

like TLamp said, its just basics which will help with your undertanding in the yr 12 course

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
A deleted dotpoint was about the properties of alkanes and alkenes. Is this still important?

tennille

HSC
There is one based on comparing the reactivities of alkanes and alkenes in Production of Materials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)