chem or bio?? (1 Viewer)

Jasmeen

HSC
heyy guys,
i hav to make subject selections soon for year 11 and 12 and i can't decide whether to do chemistry or biology...
Is chemistry hard???

morganforrest

HSC
Chemistry is considered by some to be the hardest science...others say physics, however Chemistry typically scales extremely well (higher than any other science) and as long as you master the concepts, the maths and calculations involved aren't too difficult. I find it quite easy but I'm far and away top of my class so I may be a little biased.

While I don't actually do Bio, from what I've heard its relatively easy, and as a result scales less than both chemistry and physics. However, don't fall into the trap of thinking bio would be an easy way out. Both subjects are hard in different ways.

Good luck with your choices, If you want advice I would recommend Chem if you think you can keep up with the course work.

EDIT: Check some past papers and the syllabus to have a look at the sorts of things you'll be learning and pick the one that interests you most.

Jasmeen

HSC
thanx that really helped:)
i think i'll do chem

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
If you'd still like another opinion, I personally did/do both.

Biology, while you do have to understand everything too, it is more memory work. It's much more denser in terms of workload and information (plenty of reading and writing) whereas Chemistry is more analytical with calculations.

Neither are easy, it's just what you're more suited to I feel because both do have their own perks. If you're better at comprehending large slabs of words, remembering and working out relationships then Biology is for you. If you're better at say, Maths with understanding numbers and abstract concepts you'll do fine. That said, I can cope with 3U Maths but, I can't grasp vague concepts such as the mole or what the entire point of them is so, I've dropped Chem.

Most people who were in my Chemistry class were Maths-oriented whereas those in my Biology class are more Humanities/English-based.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Most people who were in my Chemistry class were Maths-oriented whereas those in my Biology class are more Humanities/English-based.
That's the same case for me as well.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
I also do both and enjoy both, though bio to a greater degree.
Many people will say bio is soooo easy but really, it does require alot of memorizing, reading, etc.
Also think in terms of what you want to do for a career.
If you're considering science or medicine or something like that chem would be advisable.
Overall,
I'd say do bio, though I may be biased coz I'm currently topping it =P

HSC
i am doing bio next year (im in year ten too). mostly coz i am doing earth and environmental science this year as an accelerated year 11 subject, and there is a whole topic in bio that co-insides with ees in year 12

aussiechica7

HSC
If you're interested in med take chem because it's a prereq at almost every uni. Bio isn't anywhere.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
munchybuddy said:
Serously everyone i no that does science regrets pickin it. But if u r good at science do chem but if u rnt so good do bio.
Remember bio is seen as "the easy science" but they are both actually quite hard.

Good luck
n dun 4get if you paid attentn all the time in yr8 maths, english and history lessons youll ace physics

northofnorth

HSC
Chem.........................you can pick up Bio easily in Uni (so i hear).

yvettemaree47

HSC
We have already had our subject selection and I couldn't choose between them either... so I took both:)

At the moment I think I'll probably end up liking chemistry more because from what I've heard from by science teacher bio is a lot about plants in yr 11 (I'd rather more human biology)

But I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)