Chem+Phys Practical Exams? (1 Viewer)

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
Hi all, next week i have my final preliminary exams and to go with chemistry and physics exams (2h each), i also have to sit for an addition 1hr "practical-based" paper for each. These practical exams are worth 25% each for prelim =|

Anyway.. has anyone had a prac exam for chem or phys this year? What is a good way to study for a "practical" exam, isit more skill or knowledge based?

If anyone have any tips, it'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
seftonisahole

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I've done prac tests for both chemistry and physics. They're mostly skills based, but if you screw something up, it gives you something to talk about in the discussion section of your report.

Just make sure you know the theory behind the prac, and any calculations involved.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Do you have any idea what it's about?

Out of the last 2 practicals I've done (chemistry last week and physics today) it didn't require really studying. For chemistry, it was about reaction rates so the answers were pretty obvious and logical. For physics, it was mainly mathematical calculations, plotting points and stuff like that. I sucked at plotting so that couldn't be helped :p But it wasn't really something I could study for. The main problem was the time running out, the questions itself wasn't too bad. I'll be laughing (more pissed) if I fail though xD

cookiesncream

HSC
I did a practical test for chemistry last week and it was about reaction rates. We had to time how long it took for an equal amount of magnesium to dissolve in 2, 1, 0.5 and X mol/Litres of HCl. Then we had to answer questions on the prac and graph results to work out the concentration of X.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Practical exams can't really be crammed for. You need a good background knowledge, and a clear concept of chemical concepts. (I can't say anything about physics, as it is not my area of expertise...Also, my school is renown for its fucking shit physics pracs)

Best way I reckon would be to skim over your textbook, and pick the TWO LAST questions that require concepts, instead of those that need you to basically regurgitate information.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
variables/limits/ways to improve/calculations.

lionking1191

HSC
scientific method, reliability and validity -

always a page turner

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Definitely skills based. I'd almost go as far as to say that you can't study for it. But if you really want to - read over your practical reports that you've done all year.

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
hmm ok, thanks for all your replies people, appreciate it.
Gotta get used to these exams as there will be quite a few next year x_x

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
by the way, does anyone happen to ahve any past chemistry or physics practical papers? i've searched and only found one but it was on the electricity topic for physics.

My practical assessment for physics will be focused on the topic of "moving about" any ideas of what practical it could be? :T
For chemistry, it is inferred on the notifcation sheet that it will be based on the topic of energy, more specifically Section 5.

Anyways, if anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

chemmeh

HSC
yeah... sefton's making me do 9 prelim exams, bloody waste my time. This school's trash

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
ahah chemmeh...
physics practical exam, exam duration 1h, weighting 30%
physics final preliminary exam duration 2h, weighting 30%
chemistry practical exam, duration 1h, weighting 25%
chemsitry final preliminary exam, duration 2h, weighting 25%

dont know why the practical assessments are so heavily weighed...

goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)