Chem Scaling Help Plz@ (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hey i know chem. is a good scaling subject, but our teachers n stuff and every1 say if u do bad u get scaled down. i get this but im just wondering what is classified as bad? like 60 or 70 or 80? does anyone know. like i no it is in compasrison with other ppl but around what
thanks!@ heaps

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Affinity
below circa 77
what? how would you validate that estimation... i mean its way off LOL. :p

last year stats:

HSC: 94 ----> UAC: 94.6

HSC: 87 ----> UAC: 85.4

so im estimating around 90 HSC mark is when the two graphs cross... and the stats indicate they only cross once... so yea.

drop chem now... go for 4u english&math and latin scales comparatively better. ;)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
what? how would you validate that estimation... i mean its way off LOL. :p

last year stats:

HSC: 94 ----> UAC: 94.6

HSC: 87 ----> UAC: 85.4

so im estimating around 90 HSC mark is when the two graphs cross... and the stats indicate they only cross once... so yea.

drop chem now... go for 4u english&math and latin scales comparatively better. ;)
okay so if u get 87 in chem the scaling give u a approx 85.4 do u know what it would be for easier subjects say the histories?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
modern history:

hsc 90 ----> uac: 80.2

ancient history:

hsc 90 ----> uac: 77.8

to tell you the truth trying to compare different subject is stupid. just do your best subject and the best result will come.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
modern history:

hsc 90 ----> uac: 80.2

ancient history:

hsc 90 ----> uac: 77.8

to tell you the truth trying to compare different subject is stupid. just do your best subject and the best result will come.
i just wanna know whether to do chem or ancient h currently im doing chem. i think i can prob get about 85 in wither for tjhe hsc. so i should prob go with chem rite?
r u sure sam is right with the marks coz thats not wht they tell us at school?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by *girl04*
i just wanna know whether to do chem or ancient h currently im doing chem. i think i can prob get about 85 in wither for tjhe hsc. so i should prob go with chem rite?
r u sure sam is right with the marks coz thats not wht they tell us at school?
i am pretty sure.

the philosophy of the scaling system: choosing a more difficult course over a less difficult course will not disadvantage nor advantage the individual, this works vice versa.

but "without" scaling, choosing a more difficult course obviously is a disadvantage.

there are two types of confused people, one who looks at the scaling marks and go wow this scales well i would be advantaged in choosing it, and the other type: this course is easy im gonna full kill it if i choose it.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
its just coz im abut the same at chem and his if that makes sense so maybe i sahll go fore chem as it scalles well

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by *girl04*
its just coz im abut the same at chem and his if that makes sense so maybe i sahll go fore chem as it scalles well
you better off throwing a coin and decide... or why not just do both. and the one that you don't come first in assessments, just don't spend as much time revising it for the hsc exam.

one more thing you might not have realised: hsc exam mark does not equals to "raw" or real exam mark.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
one more thing you might not have realised: hsc exam mark does not equals to "raw" or real exam mark.
It's important to remember with scaling that all results get scaled twice, once going from raw to HSC, second by UAC to determine UAI. Even if a mark is scaled down by UAC, it may still have been scaled up substantially by the BoS. The only subject where any raw info is available (AFAIK) is Maths.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol they give out more band 6's each year to show that students are getting "smarter" ...

sif unis care

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
It's important to remember with scaling that all results get scaled twice, once going from raw to HSC, second by UAC to determine UAI. Even if a mark is scaled down by UAC, it may still have been scaled up substantially by the BoS. The only subject where any raw info is available (AFAIK) is Maths.
The mark's aren't actually scaled twice.

The Board of Studies 'scaling' and the UAC's scaling is separate processes. The UAC uses the RAW HSC marks and scales that. The board of studies uses the raw marks and aligns them. The aligning is pretty pointless except to show the standards met by the students.

The UAC scaling is what everyone is concerned about, and it uses the RAW HSC marks and scales that (most subjects scales down).

*Has a STRONG itching feeling the raw HSC marks will be available in the near future* *Zips mouth*

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
The mark's aren't actually scaled twice.

The Board of Studies 'scaling' and the UAC's scaling is separate processes. The UAC uses the RAW HSC marks and scales that. The board of studies uses the raw marks and aligns them. The aligning is pretty pointless except to show the standards met by the students.

The UAC scaling is what everyone is concerned about, and it uses the RAW HSC marks and scales that (most subjects scales down).

*Has a STRONG itching feeling the raw HSC marks will be available in the near future* *Zips mouth*
hehe whens the near future? by 2005? THAT WOULD BE good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)