chem study techniques (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
I'm just wondering how you guys all studied throughout the year for chemistry. I'm only starting yr 12, and would love to hear what sort of techniques worked and which didnt. Also, what resources did you use apart from textbook and sites like this.
Thanx

kini mini

HSC
Basically the same advice as spice girl...

Have a look at Thickett's Chemistry Pathways and Chemistry Contexts from Longman as well. Many people have found one of the Big Three better for one reason or another, I ended up using bits from all.

Also, I recommend practising your answering technique. Imagine you are writing for the benefit of an anally retentive wanker, it usually helps you to put in all the silly little elements they want. The STANSW Chemistry one is good for that, have a go at this year's trials as well (see my site).

SgtSlick

the best way to prepare for chemistry is to drop the subject but if u must do it...

get the conquering chem book, make use of
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au
and use ure teacher...

Last edited:

Ozz^E

Well, i think its Realllllly imprtant that you follow the syllabus very closely. You should have a copy of it by now and wat i propose is that u have ur textbooks handy (conquering chem is prob the best, but pathways and contexts as well) and answer the syllabus points using them. Like the first time round write down as much as you can on each point. Then as the yr goes on, cut down (summarise) the points. Basically, dont try to summarise the textbooks, use them to answer the points. And i would not advice spending too much on answering the excercises in the textbooks, but rather (after uve finshed answering the syllabus once at least) do as many trials, the specimen, the tow hscs and stuff like from the success one book. Some of the excercies are a lil off.

And if u dont understand anything at all...just ask.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
kini mini Basically the same advice as spice girl...

Have a look at Thickett's Chemistry Pathways and Chemistry Contexts from Longman as well. Many people have found one of the Big Three better for one reason or another, I ended up using bits from all.

Also, I recommend practising your answering technique. Imagine you are writing for the benefit of an anally retentive wanker, it usually helps you to put in all the silly little elements they want. The STANSW Chemistry one is good for that, have a go at this year's trials as well (see my site).

What is the STANSW Chemistry and what is your site. Otherwise thanx for your input guys. We use Pathways at school, but I do have acces to the other 2.
Is the exam like all based on the points though? Because personallly I think they dont cover much.

Ozz^E

The exam IS based on the syllabus points, essentially and in fact they do cover a lot.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by marsenal

What is the STANSW Chemistry and what is your site. Otherwise thanx for your input guys. We use Pathways at school, but I do have acces to the other 2.
Is the exam like all based on the points though? Because personallly I think they dont cover much.
In my post window, there is a site button you can hit. There's also a quote button to quote other ppl's posts ;)

The exam is based on the points, I didn't mention it explicitly but I think every single person studies with the syllabus on one side and the books on the other. I actually made notes specifically answering a lot of the points because the examiners are in the habit of just putting the point in as the question.

STANSW = Science Teachers' Association New South Wales. They produce books of questions that I found helpful, just don't let their or any answers lull you into a false sense of security. If you think there's more to be said, look it up and memorise it.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDynamic/Full_Details.asp?ISBN=1876127457

for Dymocks, but you probably don't need the updated version as the exam didn't have any surprises really. Go to a 2nd hand bookshop like T's in Randwick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)