• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chem vs Phys (2 Viewers)

HSC
i started with chem and physics in yr 11 and had like 16 units. I also did 3u maths, and i found physics and 3u maths tied in together heaps, which helped understand it more. And physics is spose to have some harder concepts, and they give u all the formulae .. so yeah whereas chem isnt as straight forward, it's like english in the way that it doesn't always obey all the rules, there's always exceptions which sucks.
altho they say the phys hsc requires a fair bit better english skills than the previously more mathematical one

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
I like...

I prefer chemistry, bcz if you memorise everything and think logically, you can go well., then again physics is really like maths and if ur really good at maths, physics is 4 u.
Probably do both and then decide which one u wuld like 2 drop.!!! :) :)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
chem has a bit of maths too: eg, MOLES !!!!!!

and on that note, i like physics better... much better!

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Maths and Biology are my best subjects, I find Physics boring most of the time, I'm getting bad marks. But my teacher really sucks.

YBK

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Maths and Biology are my best subjects, I find Physics boring most of the time, I'm getting bad marks. But my teacher really sucks.
I learn everything alone, and fall asleep in class... :D

physics is easy to learn without a teacher :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I actually find it quite easy- I just can't be stuffed. I don't really care how a radiator works! I know, I have a very poor attitude!

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
I hear that physics really is borrrrrrrINg!!!
really boring
especially
with a boring teacher

klaw

HSC
YBK said:
I learn everything alone, and fall asleep in class... :D

physics is easy to learn without a teacher :)
hmm... phys is the only subject I have trouble teaching myself.... I can even teach myself 4U maths relatively well. Is there a special way you teach yourself phys?

YBK

HSC
klaw said:
hmm... phys is the only subject I have trouble teaching myself.... I can even teach myself 4U maths relatively well. Is there a special way you teach yourself phys?
Well, I use the maquarie study guide, and write up every dot point. I cross-reference with the notes some people have posted up here. If you have a positive attitude towards the subject, I assure you, you'll understand everything and do very well.

For example, on my first prac test, I didn't study at all since the teacher told us not to study and got errr... 28/30 rank !!! btw, he's the type of teacher that makes a million mistakes when he tries to solve a problem on the board - I have a lot of trouble understanding what he says... Actually, I dont. For our next prac test, I studied a bit, by writing up the prac dot points and expected results; and I improved to 2nd in the class!

A good strategy when writing up your dot-points is to use color through highlighting. It makes things more fun, and helps stuff stick in your head. Also, buy the Jacarranda; I just bought that book... it's awsome! The first page has a syllabus grid, linking every dot point to the page where it is located. If you're using Physics Contexts at your school, buy the jacarranda; it's worth every penny. Contexts is a very *boring* book, and is not concise.

Good luck! (btw, i cant study maths without the teacher explaining it - lucky she's the best maths teacher ever !!!!!! :) )

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Woot, i'm using jacaranda at my school, i agree the text is a very good one so get your hands on one people. By the way, nice improvement from 3rd last to 2nd best! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)