• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

chemical composition of enzymes? (1 Viewer)

cal-

Banned
HSC
All enzymes are made of protein and the proteins consist of one or more polypeptide chain. These are composed of long chains of amino acids joined together by peptide bonds.

boris

Banned
HSC
Enzymes are proteins that catalyze (i.e. accelerate) and control the rates of chemical reactions.

Thanks wikipedia!

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
boris said:
Enzymes are proteins that catalyze (i.e. accelerate) and control the rates of chemical reactions.

Thanks wikipedia!
thats the role of enzymes

enzymes are proteins, they consist of amino acids linked by peptide bonds to form a polypeptide chain. proteins consist of two or more polypeptides =D confusing

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

I was once doing a question from a trial paper and it was something like choose what best describes the chemical composition of an enzyme and there was:

(A) amino acid chains
(B) large carbohydrates
(C) complex hormones
(D) three-dimensional proteins

I answered A but the correct answer was D. I'm not too sure why but you might also wanna keep this in mind..

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
I was once doing a question from a trial paper and it was something like choose what best describes the chemical composition of an enzyme and there was:

(A) amino acid chains
(B) large carbohydrates
(C) complex hormones
(D) three-dimensional proteins

I answered A but the correct answer was D. I'm not too sure why but you might also wanna keep this in mind..
That comes up in the option im doing in chemistry, there is three structure of proteins the primary (amino acid chains) secondary helix strand formed by the peptide bond not making a completely linear chain and finally the tertiary structure which is when the chains form the globular shape including the active site in enzymes which is made when the chain "folds" on itsself.
All another reason for that answer is that its the most accuracte since the question asks "what best describes the chemical composition"

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Ouch, tough question

Chemical composition
Would they want you to be specific?
Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen?

cyndilau

HSC
Enzymes are proteins built from amino acids. each strand of protein folds into a three dimensional shape.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
hm.. well my notes say this;

• most enzymes are made up of proteins
  • proteins are composed of long chains of amino acids joined together by peptide bonds. these chains are called polypeptide chains.
  • proteins may consist of one or more of these chains.
  • in enzymes, these chains are folded into a 3D globular shape.
  • part of the enzyme molecule is called the active site, which attaches to the reacting molecule called the substrate.
well, i hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)