Chemistry 1A (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Is it possible to teach this subject yourself solely by reading and doing exercises from a chem textbook, and by watching youtube videos of chemistry labs?

Thank you.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Do you mean doing all of the above and not going to any lectures? I wouldn't recommend it - it's always good to go to the lectures and see which bits are important and which bits aren't. There is too much information in the textbook and most of it you don't need to know.

Kittikhun

HSC
Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning to major in biology, and the handbook says that it is recommended to do Chemistry 1A but that is isn't a requisite. So, I was wondering if I should enroll in the course or not since I'm not sure if HSC Chemistry would be enough to make me understand all the stuff in bio down the track.

Is anyone doing Chem 1A this coming semester? If so, could you type down the times and locations of the lectures so that I could crash some or all of them during my breaks.

Thanks.

D94

HSC
N/A
For lecture times,

Monday, 12:00-13:00, Clancy Auditorium
Wednesday, 14:00-15:00, Clancy Auditorium
Thursday, 13:00-14:00, Clancy Auditorium

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I'm planning to major in biology, and the handbook says that it is recommended to do Chemistry 1A but that is isn't a requisite. So, I was wondering if I should enroll in the course or not since I'm not sure if HSC Chemistry would be enough to make me understand all the stuff in bio down the track
Ok I see. Well if you find chemistry dreadful I would avoid CHEM1011 at all cost (since you don't need to do it). I did HSC Chem myself and found CHEM1011 and CHEM1021 difficult. I know that usually more than half of the students in these courses get a Pass or fail (0-64%). I had several second years subjects requiring both chem as pre-req so I had to do them. However, I don't find anything I have learned useful when it comes to second year courses.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok I see. Well if you find chemistry dreadful I would avoid CHEM1011 at all cost (since you don't need to do it). I did HSC Chem myself and found CHEM1011 and CHEM1021 difficult. I know that usually more than half of the students in these courses get a Pass or fail (0-64%). I had several second years subjects requiring both chem as pre-req so I had to do them. However, I don't find anything I have learned useful when it comes to second year courses.
To be fair it looks like you did CHEM1011 when I was in year 7 lol. I did CHEM1011 in 2010, I found it quite easy and I only got 80 for chemistry in the HSC. They literally spend the first 3 weeks going over HSC basics like moles and concentration. If you did Chem in the HSC first few weeks are definetly skippable but when they get to stuff like quantum chemistry you should go to the lectures.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
To be fair it looks like you did CHEM1011 when I was in year 7 lol. I did CHEM1011 in 2010, I found it quite easy and I only got 80 for chemistry in the HSC. They literally spend the first 3 weeks going over HSC basics like moles and concentration. If you did Chem in the HSC first few weeks are definetly skippable but when they get to stuff like quantum chemistry you should go to the lectures.
hahaha. I just realised how old I have become. Yep, all the way back in 2004 when I did CHEM1011. May be 1011 is easier now?! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)