Chemistry assignment on seperation techniques, help! (1 Viewer)

isabella05

HSC
I really need help coming up with an idea for a seperation in-class task I have to do in about two weeks! What is a simple yet not too common pair of substances I could seperate? (I am pretty sure one of the two has to be water soluble! Can be any seperation technique)

Qeru

HSC
I really need help coming up with an idea for a seperation in-class task I have to do in about two weeks! What is a simple yet not too common pair of substances I could seperate? (I am pretty sure one of the two has to be water soluble! Can be any seperation technique)
Salt and water is the easiest, do you get more marks for creativity?

isabella05

HSC
Salt and water is the easiest, do you get more marks for creativity?
It's for an assessment task, and I would prefer something a little more difficult. We have already demonstrated simple seperations like salt/water or ethanol/water in class. Any other ideas?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I think in Year 11 I did one with oil, sand, and salt all in the mixture.

imxprt

HSC
N/A
Maybe you can do salt, sand and iron fillings and use magnetic seperation

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Perhaps you can put candy and veggies together and have a 5 year old eat from it.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You could take a mixture of 3 solids where one is soluble in water but not an organic solvent (like pentane, say) and another is soluble in pentane but not water, and the third is soluble in neither. Add pentane and water and shake and you get the sand (say) sitting on the bottom and collectible by filtration and two immiscible liquids, each with a dissolved solute. They can be separated with a separating funnel and the solids recovered by evapouration or distillation (depending on whether the solvent is to be collected).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)