Chemistry Assignment (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
It'd be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide me with some notes, websites, resources etc for any/all of the following assignment syllabus dot-point questions:

3.3 Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes C1 to C8 and use the term 'homologous series' to describe a series with the same functional group.

3.4 Explain the relationship between the melting point, boiling point and volatility of the above hydrocarbons, and their non-polar nature and intermolecular forces (dispersion forces).

3.5 Assess the safety issues associated with the storage of alkanes C1 to C8 in view of their weak intermolecular forces (dispersion forces).

Cheers.

Last edited:

tau281290

HSC
Honestly, thats too much to expect. You just typed up your entire assignment. These are a lot of free answers.

Just read the text books from your school, it will do you wonders.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
It'd be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide me with some notes, websites, resources etc for any/all of the following assignment syllabus dot-point questions:

3.3 Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes C1 to C8 and use the term 'homologous series' to describe a series with the same functional group.

3.4 Explain the relationship between the melting point, boiling point and volatility of the above hydrocarbons, and their non-polar nature and intermolecular forces (dispersion forces).

3.c? Process and present information from secondary sources and use available evidence to identify safety issues associated with the storage of alkanes.

3.5 Assess the safety issues associated with the storage of alkanes C1 to C8 in view of their weak intermolecular forces (dispersion forces).

Cheers.
Alkanes, a hydrocarbon with only single bonds, are extremely flammable. Many hydrocarbons are toxic (poisonous) and some are carcinogenic (cancer-causing). So we need to be careful in handling them.

The main safety precautions that should be taken when storing alkanes are:

1. Store at low temperatures

2. Ensure foam fire extinguishers are readily available

3. Keep away from naked flames and spark

4. Make sure that well-maintained cylinders are fitted for gaseous hydrocarbons

5. Avoid inhaling vapours as many are toxic

I'll hopefully get back to you bored of sc :)

Twickel

HSC
You have helped me alot before, I wish I could help but we have not started energy yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)