Chemistry depth study advice/help needed (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
The task we got is extremely wide, we have to design and conduct a quantitative practical investigation on module 6. However this has to come with a presentation and report and logbook and stuff, but I have no idea what pracs that i will be able to conduct. It has to be a complex idea (not just an experiment):

For example, I was thinking about comparing the levels of ascorbic acid in different brands of orange juice which was a good idea but is not possible as it requires iodometric titration (something our school won't be able to provide the chemicals for)

(if we want to just do a normal titration it is not selective of just one acid, and reacts with all acids in the orange juice so then the results are less accurate. my teacher said that its a very good point to talk about limitations and stuff in the report and wouldn't really limit my marks as I could mention that and go in a different direction like which juice has the highest amount of acid but I still want a proper valid investigation idea)

So i currently am very lost. the only quantitative areas of mod 6 are related to enthalpy of neutralisation and titration and buffers? Does anyone have any ideas pls help
I was still thinking of conducting a chemical analysis of a common household substance but with something else other than oranges that could be complex but still work with a normal titration?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I was still thinking of conducting a chemical analysis of a common household substance but with something else other than oranges that could be complex but still work with a normal titration?
if you're going for something simplistic to follow and easy to do with a titration then the concentration of ethanoic acid in regular white vinegar (or other types of vinegar) would be good. my class did a prac on that the week before last

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
if you're going for something simplistic to follow and easy to do with a titration then the concentration of ethanoic acid in regular white vinegar (or other types of vinegar) would be good. my class did a prac on that the week before last
thats very simple tho....

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
thats very simple tho....
maybe back titration? i know it takes a longer span of time but it's more complex but still easy to follow, like for example analying the amount of this one acid in different aspirin medications (i forgot what it was actually called, ends with cylic or something). there's a few pracs that outline how to do this and is a more simplified version of how the real life pharmaceutical industry does it so you could also have your presentation discuss that

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
maybe back titration? i know it takes a longer span of time but it's more complex but still easy to follow, like for example analying the amount of this one acid in different aspirin medications (i forgot what it was actually called, ends with cylic or something)
its a very good idea but some people are doing that already so I can't do those bc everyone in the classes can't be doing the same thing....

By complex btw, i mean like u cant just do an experiment of two random chemicals and present it, it has to relate to a world application or something e.g. testing manufacturers claims, etc.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
its a very good idea but some people are doing that already so I can't do those bc everyone in the classes can't be doing the same thing....

By complex btw, i mean like u cant just do an experiment of two random chemicals and present it, it has to relate to a world application or something e.g. testing manufacturers claims, etc.
if not the aspirin one, i think there's other titration applications in the same industry because there's so many substances and so many medicines and in the food industry too (like SO2 in wine with a redox titration, like there needs to be a certain amount of it in wine because it's a preservative but some people can't have too much or else they get sick)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)