Chemistry Dotpoint Question (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chemistry Assignment Help - Limitations of Models

Dot point 14: Choose resouces and process information from secondary sources to construct and discuss the limitations of models of ionic lattices, covalent molecules and covalent mettalic lattices.

I'm not exactly sure what sort of things I need to satisfy this dot point. I'm just wondering what topics I need to cover. Could anyone help me?

Thanks a ton. :)

Last edited:

The Kaiser

HSC
Aerath said:
Dot point 14: Choose resouces and process information from secondary sources to construct and discuss the limitations of models of ionic lattices, covalent molecules and covalent mettalic lattices.

I'm not exactly sure what sort of things I need to satisfy this dot point. I'm just wondering what topics I need to cover. Could anyone help me?

Thanks a ton. :)
Stop posting in class Thomas!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pfft Eric - this is for you too. :)

bored of sc

HSC
I wish I had my Chemistry book :(

Choose resouces and process information from secondary sources to construct and discuss the limitations of models of ionic lattices, covalent molecules and covalent mettalic lattices.

Okay - the first thing is the fact that you will be studying and creating models to simplify and make understandable the complex structures of ionic, covalent molecular, covalent network and metallic substances (I'm not sure about covalent metallic but I am sure you would know more than me). These models, in their nature possibly over-simplify the struture and bonding present in the structures aforesaid. You need to be aware of the types of structures (tetrahedral arrangements, cubic lattices for e.g.) and bonding (weak intermolecular forces or strong, close bonds between atoms) present in each of the four types of substances. And finally you need to be able to explain in scientific terms what the models fail to show about the bonding and structure of such substances (for exmaple, the cubic model for the ionic substance sodium chloride shows the strong, cubic lattice structure and the directions and where the bonds are however the model is limited in this sense it cannot show on such a simple level - the relative strengths of the bonds, nor the size of the sodium and chlorine ions).

Hope that helps. :)

st1m

HSC
if you like i may be able to photo copy some of the notes i made on this

with diagrams and stuff...

i got my chem exam on wednesday

bye

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah sure...if that's ok St1m? I would be extremely greatful.

helen1507

HSC
OMG ROFL I just posted a similar thread and realised that Aerath had posted this thread - which is practically the same thing. T_T"

sirenxx

HSC
Re: Chemistry Assignment Help - Limitations of Models

omg dont u just want 2 burn ur dotpoint book :angry:
it is so annoying. no1 has been doen them even tho ur meant 2 keep up 2 date
afta yr 12 we'r gonna get all the dotpoint books n hav a massive bonfire :uhhuh:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Chemistry Assignment Help - Limitations of Models

Of course - you could just give them to me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)