Chemistry Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Siwel

HSC
does anyone have like a list of all the prac's we need to know for the chem exam? Maybe a nesa document or something?

TheShy

HSC
They won't put the galvanic cells most likely. You need to remember the data sheet is not meant to just be a HSC data sheet it is also for Year 11 students to use as well. Since is there no separate data sheet for Year 11 and 12 all the stuff from each year is put together

Anyways if they ask you something on the redox the question won't be hard. You have the data sheet there with all the equations already given so it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate one
Any thoughts on what they would ask this year?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
does anyone have like a list of all the prac's we need to know for the chem exam? Maybe a nesa document or something?
There won't be such a NESA document other than the syllabus, and it is written to give flexibility of what specific pracs to use. For example, you must do a prac showing Le Chatelier's Principle changes by adding materials, changing temperature, etc, but it doesn't have to be done using the cobalt aqua / chloro system. It could just as easily be chromate / dichromate and pH, or thiocyanatoiron(III) and colorimetry, or ...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I reckon in total there'll be a 100 marker for the entire paper. But they'll be broken down into separate questions.
I had a vision last night, of an HSC Chemistry student not scoring full marks on the MCQ by answering every question as A or C or D... I am predicting at least 1 MCQ will have B as its correct answer.

I also forsee multiple questions relating to the element carbon and its compounds.

Siwel

HSC
I had a vision last night, of an HSC Chemistry student not scoring full marks on the MCQ by answering every question as A or C or D... I am predicting at least 1 MCQ will have B as its correct answer.

I also forsee multiple questions relating to the element carbon and its compounds.
yikes better study the element of carbon and its compounds seems quite important

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
They won't put the galvanic cells most likely. You need to remember the data sheet is not meant to just be a HSC data sheet it is also for Year 11 students to use as well. Since is there no separate data sheet for Year 11 and 12 all the stuff from each year is put together

Anyways if they ask you something on the redox the question won't be hard. You have the data sheet there with all the equations already given so it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate one
I agree with Jazz that galvanic cells are unlikely, but anything in year 11 can be made contextually relevant to some aspect of the year 12 syllabus and hence examinable.

For example, a galvanic cell with two inert electrodes and a solution containing Sn4+ cations and I- cations has a layer of cyclohexane on its surface. As the cell operates, the cyclohexane changes colour to pink.

(a) Rationalise these observations. 3 marks

(b) Predict what would occur and be observed if the cyclohexane were replaced with cyclohexene. Justify your predictions. 3 marks

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Any thoughts on what they would ask this year?
I haven't really analysed the possibilities this year like I did in the past because been busy with my thesis submission and final seminar/viva. But just based on like what hasn't been asked in 2019 and 2020 there was nothing in the short answers about polymers or esters (other than the reaction pathway one in 2019 but that was not really the point of the question) and since in old syllabus they really liked asking stuff about those two every few years it is probably likely. Other than that I'm not really sure but maybe a back titration as there hasn't been much on titration in the 2 exams.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I haven't really analysed the possibilities this year like I did in the past because been busy with my thesis submission and final seminar/viva. But just based on like what hasn't been asked in 2019 and 2020 there was nothing in the short answers about polymers or esters (other than the reaction pathway one in 2019 but that was not really the point of the question) and since in old syllabus they really liked asking stuff about those two every few years it is probably likely. Other than that I'm not really sure but maybe a back titration as there hasn't been much on titration in the 2 exams.
There was a Volhrad back titration asked.

TheVuk

HSC
bro if phsyics and bio were more application than anything, youse reckon chem will be the same and I should spend time just doing calculations and shit?

luminol

HSC
bro if phsyics and bio were more application than anything, youse reckon chem will be the same and I should spend time just doing calculations and shit?
Generally, the new syllabus science subjects have been explicitly trying to steer away from theory dumps, Chem has also been that way for the past two years too; it's an efficient way to throw curveball questions while remaining within the scope of the syllabus

Jojofelyx

HSC
What 4+ marker questions do we reckon are gonna pop up this year? I reckon at least a Cycad 4 marker, and something about hydrocarbons and environment.

james049

HSC
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 11.04.06 pm.png
Hey, does anyone know the answer to this? from 2021 CSSA trial paper

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Please refrain from posting copyrighted material, particularly those authored by private companies. Thanks.

roryg03

HSC
where would these solutions be?
I have the solutions, for that q, Qsp was 2x10^-6 and you can infer whether precipitate formed based on formula sheet,, hope this helps : )

Siwel

HSC
I have the solutions, for that q, Qsp was 2x10^-6 and you can infer whether precipitate formed based on formula sheet,, hope this helps : )
do you have solu for the paper?

liv888

HSC
what are your predictions on the big marked questions? please I'm struggling in chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)