• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry marathon (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Post questions up and then someone answer it :)

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll start, what is the role of refuxing in the production of esters ?

HSC
N/A
to stop volatile substances escaping (which may be a health risk), to increase yield of the ester, and to allow the reactants to be heated

what measures have been taken to reduce the use of cfcs?

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
to stop volatile substances escaping (which may be a health risk), to increase yield of the ester, and to allow the reactants to be heated

what measures have been taken to reduce the use of cfcs?
The phasing out of the CFCs and the introduction of chemicals with much less depletion potential such as hcfcs and HFCs

unLimitieDx

HSC
Montreal Protocol.
Refluxing also eenables esterification to occur at high temperature

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Explain how structure and properties of polyethylene and polystyrene is related to the way it is used

4 marks

nightweaver066

HSC
Should allocate marks to the questions to give people a general idea of the detail they should give.

unLimitieDx

HSC
Polyethylene - low density --> highly branched carbon chains -> weak disp. forces thus soft, flexible --> cling wrap
-high densitry --> unbranched carbon chains enabling molecule to pack tightly and experience stronger dispersion forces ---> more rigid and inflexible, higher mp than LDPE --> plastic crates, rubbish bins
Polystyrene - bulky benzene ring in its structure --> hard and inflexible
-> crystalline polystyrene - hard, brittle - medicine cups
-> styrofoam - lightweight insulator, shock absorbance - insulating cups and eskies

smalik

HSC
LDPE has larger degree of cross linking and a lower degree of branching making it transparent, flexible, low density USES: Transparent food wrapping, sandwhich bags
HDPE: Lower degree of cross linking and higher degree of branching making it non transparent, inflexible, hard, higher density USES: Wheely bins and hard lunch boxes
Blown styrene has low density, large amounts of trapped air making it able to be used as a thermoinsulator for coffee cups and also a shock absorber in packaging
Solid Styrene has a higher density but still low by comparison to other polymers, making it used for surfboards

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I would :)
Ok, hmmmmmmm. The use of polyethylene and polystyrene are highly determined by its properties and structure. Polyethylene can be produced to have an linear or branched form. Ldpe or branched polyethylene has many branches in its molecular structure, and as a result, is highly weak and this makes it useful in product such as shopping and sandwich bags. Hdpe, in comparison had an highly linear structure, resulting in its hardness and rigidness, thus making it useful as materials for products such as pipes for carrying liquids.

Dedication_

HSC
Realising how fucked I am for chem when I see the stuff you guys are asking/answering.

unLimitieDx

HSC
Not sure if this is correct but
i) 3k/11

ii) none? unless i misunderstood the question

smalik

HSC
Explain how a buffer in a natural system maintains a relatively constant pH (Include relevant chemical equations in your answer) ---3

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Not sure if this is correct but
i) 3k/11

ii) none? unless i misunderstood the question
First one is correct, second is not. Just assume another chemical equation with k grams of CO as the product and excess O (assume incomplete combustion etc etc) I probably should of made that clear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)