• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry: Metals Assessment Task (1 Viewer)

*!~RidDle$~!*

HSC
Ok I'm not really sure how this works so sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing. :uhoh:
So hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my metals assignment. There's 4 parts to it and I'm pretty much having trouble with all of it unfortunately. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Qu.2.) a. Construct a timeline indicating the discovery/use of the following metals and alloys (lead, iron, copper, aluminium, tin, gold, silver, bronze, brass) fromm 6000BC to the present time.
b.) Use the timeline to discuss in chronological order the factors that influence
(i) discovery of the metal
(ii) use of the metal/alloy in relation to its properties
c.) Compare the physical and chemical properties of iron and steel
d.) Anaylse this information to determine why the Bronze Age preceeded the Iron Age

Qu.3.) Research one metal which is not included in the list above which has only been produced recently. Outline some of the present day and future uses of the metal related to its properties.

Qu.4.) "The relative abundance and ease of extraction of metals influences their value and breadth of use in the community"
a.) Discuss the above statement using aluminium and copper to compare their chemical reactivity, separation processes (including chemical reactions involved) and energy inputs inproduction.
b.) Use aluminium and copper to evaluate the above statement.

Qu.5.) Using aluminium, justify the increased recycling in our soceity related to energy consumption, cost, enervironmental pollution etc.

So you see, I'm kinda stressing out just a tas as its due Friday and I'm completely stuck. I've done the first question, and the comparing iron and steel part but thats about it. Any info would be great. Please please help, im pretty much desperate. lol:ninja:

Thanks in advance.:lol:

*!~RidDle$~!*

HSC
We do have a textbook, 2 in fact, but none of this stuff is in it. Im serious, It has like a paragraph on some of the common metals used over time and thats it!!! And our teacher just basically gets us to do everything ourselves, its sooooooo annoying. I'm freaking out here, does anyone have any good sites or books that would be useful??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
*!~RidDle$~!* said:
Ok I'm not really sure how this works so sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing. :uhoh:
So hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my metals assignment. There's 4 parts to it and I'm pretty much having trouble with all of it unfortunately. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Qu.2.) a. Construct a timeline indicating the discovery/use of the following metals and alloys (lead, iron, copper, aluminium, tin, gold, silver, bronze, brass) fromm 6000BC to the present time.
b.) Use the timeline to discuss in chronological order the factors that influence
d.) Anaylse this information to determine why the Bronze Age preceeded the Iron Age

Qu.3.) Research one metal which is not included in the list above which has only been produced recently. Outline some of the present day and future uses of the metal related to its properties.

Qu.4.) "The relative abundance and ease of extraction of metals influences their value and breadth of use in the community"
a.) Discuss the above statement using aluminium and copper to compare their chemical reactivity, separation processes (including chemical reactions involved) and energy inputs inproduction.
b.) Use aluminium and copper to evaluate the above statement.

Qu.5.) Using aluminium, justify the increased recycling in our soceity related to energy consumption, cost, enervironmental pollution etc.

So you see, I'm kinda stressing out just a tas as its due Friday and I'm completely stuck. I've done the first question, and the comparing iron and steel part but thats about it. Any info would be great. Please please help, im pretty much desperate. lol:ninja:

Thanks in advance.:lol:
Q2 can be easily found in the textbooks as Foram mentioned. I suggest Conquering Chemistry or Jacaranda Chemistry.

For Q3, I suggest you look into internet & do aluminium. There are a lot of resources related to this metal & easy to find.

For Q4, look up into internet for the price of metal. That will act as a seconday source for you. Discuss the abundance of that particular metal & the uses of it. Think about the demands. For example, the price of platinum is much higher than gold and silver due to its extremely low abundance.

Good luck and if you need specific info, I will give you one but I don't recommend because it's better to do your own assignment and learn from it like I did. :) :)

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
*!~RidDle$~!* said:
Copper 6000 B.C.E.
Lead 4000 B.C.E.
Silver 4000 B.C.E.
Bronze 4000 B.C.E.
Tin 3500 B.C.E.
Gold 2500 B.C.E.
Iron 1000 B.C.E.
Brass 200 B.C.E.
Aluminium 1900

The metals were discovered (roughly) in increasing order of reactivity. Copper, lead, silver and gold can all occur in nature in their elemental form so no smelting and refining is needed. Iron has a high melting temperature which could not be produced with the earlier technology. Aluminium cannot be isolated by pyrometallurgical means. The invention of electricity and electrolysis was needed for its isolation.

Bronze age came first because copper and tin were discovered and used before iron.

*!~RidDle$~!* said:
To produce new aluminium the ore needs to be mined, crushed and ground, dissolved in hydroxide, precipitated as alumina, dissolved in molten cryolite and electrolysed. This process requires large amounts of fuel, NaOH, artificial cryolite and electricity which makes it an expensive process. Fuel and electricity produce greenhouse gases and other environmental wastes.
Recycling aluminium only requires the melting of old product, removal of slag, casting of ingots and rolling into sheets. This process requires much less energy and resources. Search for aluminium recycling for exact numbers.

Im sure you can get the other two answers yourself.

jblueyesn

HSC
For Q4, look up into internet for the price of metal. That will act as a seconday source for you. Discuss the abundance of that particular metal & the uses of it. Think about the demands. For example, the price of platinum is much higher than gold and silver due to its extremely low abundance.

Do you know anywhere in particular that this information could be found?(on prices and actual abundances... which are 'common metals')
I've been searching for aaaaaaaages in my assignment!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)