Chemistry or Senior Science? (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Should I do Chemistry or Senior Science (based on the following information)?

I dislike practicals (espeically difficult ones) in science (no interest plus I'm pretty bad at them).

I enjoy maths.

I'd like a well rounded scientific understanding.

I'm very average at the kinda 'creative' or 'designing' components of science.

Feel free to post which ones scales better and all that kind of stuff.

P.S If I did choose Senior Science would 1U Religion, Adv. English, 3U Maths, Music 1, Senior Science and PDHPE scale badly and therefore screw my UAI goal of 98.5???

Thanks in advance.

shona1990

HSC
If you want "well rounded understanding of science", I'd go sen sci. You do a bit of everything, which I found interesting. I was in the same position, I ended up dropping Chem and picking up Sen Sc, mainly because I thought I could do better with less work, which was definately the case.
But I loved Chem... I dunno. Essentually it's up to you. Forget about scaling, if you're aiming for a 98, you're bound to be putting a lot of work in anyway, so with a band 6 in either, I can't imagine scaling would make that huge of a difference. Do what you enjoy..

eccentric-one

HSC
In response to your question on which one scales better. After checking 2001, 2002 & 2003 scaling means chem constantly scaled a lot higher than senior science.

Hope that helps you make you decision

HSC
Senior science is a glorified waste of time, it's all generalised info, much like the year 9&10 course. Chem scales a lot better and if your into maths then i think u'll enjoy chem more, its around a 30/70 split of maths to info. Still awesome though i loved chem... In the end, up 2 u.
Cheers.

dpospination

HSC
its up top you at the end of the day. consider what u enjoy and how well u think u can go in each subject. also look at future career paths and university courses (if ur going to uni) and see if either is a prerequisite for any of them?

Yamiyo

HSC
Well first, as someone said, think about whether you'll need chemistry later on (SS isn't sufficient for uni sciences). The scaling for chem is much better than for SS, but it's still better to do senior science if you think you'll do significantly better in it. Also, if you do well in it, it won't scale down too much.

Chemistry isn't so bad in terms of variety even though you don't look at biology or physics. For example, in the first term of year 12 you look at plastics, 'natural' plastics, ethanol as a fuel, batteries, and nuclear stuff. There is a lot more calculation in chemistry than senior science. I also don't really like practicals, but the number of 'first hand investigations' would be similar between the two.

I think chemistry will give you a better understanding of how/why things happen in terms of science, and SS will give you a broader range of knowledge about their applications. However, I haven't done SS so this should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

One more thing: if you do chemistry, at the end of the preliminary course, you can drop to senior science.

elmo9t1

HSC
i have done both and sr science is so much better even if it is graded lower. if you get in the 80s and 90s you will still do well and sr science is easier to do that well in. chemistry is a real callenge and you should only do it if you are passionate about it coz it takes a lot of work.

Feeling Wind

HSC
My science teacher (headteacher) said a few ppl in my school got band 6s in senior science but no one got band 6 in chemistry. And she also said senior science is more fun than chemistry. We do have to do a lot pracs in chemistry this year ( we were already asked to prepare a 96 pages notebook only for prac)

So, if u like chemistry only a bit, I recommand u to do senior science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)