• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry Predictions/Thoughts (2 Viewers)

la_sportive

HSC
have they tested complex ion equilibria to identify ions yet... its dubiously in syllabus since thats the whole part of adding ammonia to all the precipitates. could be interesting if they asked to explain that in a question
complexation? i love those bruh

HSC
I've not done complex with lead or silver....... should I learn it
wait so which ions r u doing complex for?
i mean if youre gonna learn complex, you should learn it for lead and silver since its the actual useful one where u cant solve it with regular precipitation

OD6

HSC
Does anyone know an approximate ranking of how difficult the past few hsc chem papers have been? Also how far back is it worth going for papers, are the ones pre-2020 still on the same syllabus?

person3024

HSC
Does anyone know an approximate ranking of how difficult the past few hsc chem papers have been? Also how far back is it worth going for papers, are the ones pre-2020 still on the same syllabus?
2019 and onwards is the same syllabus, but before that some of the questions are still relevant to this syllabus just not all

Reactions: OD6

radioheadfan42

HSC
HI!! A bit out of nowhere but i found a cool way to memorise (most) of the naming priorities for functional groups using the formula sheet. 1 (Carbolyxic/alkanoic acids) being top priority and thus having the suffix, 6 being the lowest priority...in this case, amines. Doesnt include alkenes or anything, because those sorta go without saying :p

The formula sheet is in VAGUE order of naming priorities, if you really stretch it. Instead of just pure repetition for memorisation i love to find tricks using the only thing we get in the test...i reckon you could find more ways to memorise things using this table. If i find any more I'll let you know...
1aa7673b-9fbb-4e69-8fb0-d48148d9b2f9.png

radioheadfan42

HSC
HI!! A bit out of nowhere but i found a cool way to memorise (most) of the naming priorities for functional groups using the formula sheet. 1 (Carbolyxic/alkanoic acids) being top priority and thus having the suffix, 6 being the lowest priority...in this case, amines. Doesnt include alkenes or anything, because those sorta go without saying :p

The formula sheet is in VAGUE order of naming priorities, if you really stretch it. Instead of just pure repetition for memorisation i love to find tricks using the only thing we get in the test...i reckon you could find more ways to memorise things using this table. If i find any more I'll let you know...
View attachment 45187
ALSO IMPORTANT NOTE!! This does not include Amides, which have a much higher priority than amines. They come just after acids. So if you want to remember Amides, just think of them as being the opposite of Amines in terms of priority, i guess : P

radioheadfan42

HSC
There are also some other really rediculous mnemotic tricks for naming functional groups i made up myself which i found helpful...while they don't help ABSOLUTELY EVERY element of organic naming, its one less thing to have to remember!

I have a terrible memory, i always have to create mnemonic tricks for seemingly everything. ESPECIALLY for mod 7..too many names to remember...

Just incase someone out there finds these helpful...

1. The difference between Amine and Amide: Amide has a "ide", and it makes the suffix sound like aldehyde. Amide looks like if you slapped an amine at the end of an aldehyde.

2. Ester, easter, more oxygen the better...ester sounds like easter. easter means eggs. Eggs...uhh are circular like the letter O. So, there's more oxygen.

3. Aldehyde..hyde. Hydrogen. So its got a hydrogen too.

4. Ketones. One. So there's just the one oxygen between two carbons, no extra Hydrogen

If i remember any more ill post them here too if you all would like!

This will likely be of absolutely no help but if there's a chance someone out here needs a really rediculous mnemotic trick...hell yeah.

askit

HSC

View attachment 45187
In general, priority is based off molar mass of functional group - it is a cool trick to memorise aldehydes/ketones though!

pancake15

HSC
I think they're gonna make us do a short ans on soaps and/or polymers this yr since I haven't seen any short ans for that, and probably something regarding ester method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)