Chemistry Questions (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Are inorganic compounds known as binary compounds that consists of two elements? (E.g. Ionic, Covalent) excluding Metallic or Metallic is included?

What are the different prefixes for covalent elements? Is there a list? e.g. CO is Carbon Monoxide and CO2 is Carbon Dioxide

The more valence shells an atom has, the more energy it contains? Or the more electrons an atom has the more energy it contains? Or both..Confused :mad:

Thanks. Will be adding more :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Are inorganic compounds known as binary compounds that consists of two elements? (E.g. Ionic, Covalent) excluding Metallic or Metallic is included?

What are the different prefixes for covalent elements? Is there a list? e.g. CO is Carbon Monoxide and CO2 is Carbon Dioxide

The more valence shells an atom has, the more energy it contains? Or the more electrons an atom has the more energy it contains? Or both..Confused :mad:

Binary compounds (Ionic, Covalent) consist of two elements excluding metals.

Prefixes are mono-, di-, tri-, tetra, penta, hexa-, hepta-, oct-, non- and dec-
They are used to indicate HOW MANY atoms there are for that element.

The more energy shells an atom has, the more PROTONS, NEUTRONS AND ELECTRONS it contains. Therefore, there is more energy. It is the MASS of an element that determines the energy that the atom of that element contains.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Razizi said:

Ionic compounds are usually metals joining with non-metals, e.g. sodium chloride. Covalent are usually two non-metals, e.g. water - hydrogen and oxygen. I'm not exactly sure what you mean but all I know is that in ionic compounds metals are present.

As for the rest of the stuff - lyounamu got all that stuff spot on.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks. And the few last ones :):

1. Would anyone happen to have a short summary of how fractional distillation works? At my school, the chemistry class didn't do the practical of either distillation or fractional distillation.

2. I know binary compounds are those that consists of two elements bonded and they can be classified as Ionic or Covalent. Can they also be classified as metallic? I don't think that two metals are able to be bonded together. It's only one metal by itself with positive ions (cations) with the electrostatic attraction of delocalised electrons. Not sure...Confused...

Thanks.

undalay

HSC
Razizi said:
Organic compounds are covalent compounds that contain Carbon with a few exceptions such as carbon oxides (i.e. CO, CO2).

Razizi said:
I'm not exactly what you mean by "energy" in an atom.
Maybe you are refering to the bond energy of a compound, which is dependent on the bond length, which is on reliant a variety of factors.

lyounamu said:
Prefixes are mono-, di-, tri-, tetra, penta, hexa-, hepta-, oct-, non- and dec-
They are used to indicate HOW MANY atoms there are for that element.
Yep.
To clarify these are ONLY used in convalent compounds.

The prefix of mono is only attached to oxygen (within the hsc anyway).
I.e. you don't say monocarbondioxide.

lyounamu said:
The more valence shells an atom has, the more PROTONS, NEUTRONS AND ELECTRONS it contains. Therefore, there is more energy.
This is incorrect, for example: Fluorine has 7 valence electrons (shells and electrons are different things). Where as Potassium only has one, but potassium is still has more protons, neutrons, and electrons.

If you actually meant, more shells (rather than valence electrons) then you would be more or less right.

lyounamu said:
It is the MASS of an element that determines the energy that the atom of that element contains.
What do you mean by "energy" of an atom.
If you are refering to the equation e=mc^2, where mass is equivalent of energy, that is totally redundant and inane in the context prelim chemistry and bonding.

edit : sorry if i haven't been more helpful, your questions are just a tad obscure :/

Last edited:

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_bond :)

Razizi said:
You do not name the first First Carbon , for example you have CO2 , it is also written as C1O2 , but you dont write that 1 , because we already know its 1.
But if this Carbon were to increase then you would put the mon , di , tetra , etc etc. Ex P2O5 , diphousphours tetraoxide ;).

Razizi said:
The more valence shells = more electrons ;). Electrons are the patricles that surround the nuclues.

Offtopic: You kept crying about how you had a tutor and how he makes you get super high marks , why didnt you just ask him :angry: lol.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For every element, there is only one valence shell. Valence shell is the outermost shell that determines whether element is reactive or unreactive.

For example, nobles gases filled their valence shell or sub-shells so they are unreactive and found as free elements in nature (generally).

It is number of shells that determines the number of electrons an element possesses. More shells, more electrons an element has.

Osamaelias was right, generally. However, we only put prefixes for covalent compounds. For Ionic compounds, we use empirical fomula that represents the RATIO in which elements are present since ionic compound consists of an infinite array of orderly positioned cations and anions. There are no discrete molecules in ionic compound. (same with metals, covalent network solids).

Inorganic substances are substances that do not contain carbon as mentioned above by undalay. Exception is CO2, carbon dioxide that is more considered inorganic than organic. Organic substances contain carbon and examples are C6H1206 which is glucose.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
Inorganic substances are substances that do not contain carbon as mentioned above by undalay. Exception is CO2, carbon dioxide that is more considered inorganic than organic. Organic substances contain carbon and examples are C6H1206 which is glucose.
and ionic compounds with carbonate

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
osamaelias said:
You do not name the first First Carbon , for example you have CO2 , it is also written as C1O2 , but you dont write that 1 , because we already know its 1.
But if this Carbon were to increase then you would put the mon , di , tetra , etc etc. Ex P2O5 , diphousphours pentoxide ;).
Fixed :D.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
and ionic compounds with carbonate
No. Carbonate is CO3, which is polyatomic ion (radical).

Ionic compound consists of anion and cation chemically bonded together by electrostatic attraction.

And as you see, carbon is non-metal that can never become cation since it wants EXTRA electrons and oxygen cannot become cation also because it also wants EXTRA electrons and becomes anion.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
With the whole ratio atoms thing - you don't write 1 due to convention; just like maths 4/1 = 4 = not writing the 1.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
blahmeh said:
...and this is why i dropped science

all this talk of protons, neutrons, electrons:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:
Yeah it's quite confusing, but you get the hang of it :).

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
blahmeh said:
...and this is why i dropped science

all this talk of protons, neutrons, electrons:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:
Brother you have not yet seen real chemistry , all this is meant to be basics. I find Chemistry in Australia way below other country standards. What we take in a whole term i finished in 1 weeks time overseas. Its not meant to be confusing , Chemistry is understanding then depicting upon it.

I thank god i didnt take the British System of study , took the American instead (which was alot less load and way easier) , but still most of the stuff ive done in year 8-9 , will be done in grade 12 in Australia lol , so for me im happy :D.

If you need any help with Chemistry im glad to help :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL - don't think he needs it. :p
But I could do with some later on. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)