• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chess thread (6 Viewers)

leehuan

HSC
Interesting. Should do a thread revival and then we can have a tournament.

seanieg89

HSC
Interesting. Should do a thread revival and then we can have a tournament.
Am all for this. People register interest here and direct other bos users who might be interested to this thread as well.

Can start with a one-off event on something like a Sunday evening, depending on numbers will either do swiss, round robin, or double elimination.
(The last of these works best after we have some idea of seeding though.)

A standard time control like 15+10 (15 mins for whole game, your clock gets positively incremented by 10 secs each move you make) seems best for this sort of setting.

Can also run faster blitz/bullet events though if people like that stuff.

seanieg89

HSC
Ps. If anyone is up for some casual blitz games later tonight, I am probably down.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
By the way, how accurate are the ratings on lichess? Are they like decently accurate at the upper end but not so much towards the lower end?

seanieg89

HSC
By the way, how accurate are the ratings on lichess? Are they like decently accurate at the upper end but not so much towards the lower end?
accurate in what sense? accurate in comparing skill of two lichess players or accurate to over the board ratings?

for the former, they should be pretty good for comparing any two players with a decent game volume. if game count is low though it doesn't mean much either way.

it's not very accurate to otb ratings at all imo.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
accurate in what sense? accurate in comparing skill of two lichess players or accurate to over the board ratings?

for the former, they should be pretty good for comparing any two players with a decent game volume. if game count is low though it doesn't mean much either way.

it's not very accurate to otb ratings at all imo.
Yeah, meant OTB ratings. What are the main reasons for these inaccuracies? Is it because people are less serious in online play? (And probably because some people don't play that much or often online.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
So far I've only used chess.com

I could use lichess

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Why can't I move my piece

Nvm something tells me I was probably the spectator
Yeah, only the first person to click the link and join can play. After that, people who click the link become spectators.

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah, meant OTB ratings. What are the main reasons for these inaccuracies? Is it because people are less serious in online play? (And probably because some people don't play that much or often online.)
Well ratings are purely a relative scale, basically a point difference maps to a statistically expected outcome. Eg the percentage of decisive games won by the higher rated player is predicted to be the same for a 2600 vs a 2500 as when a 1200 plays an 1100. The ratings stabilise toward the equilibrium. (I smell a good MX2 marathon question here lols).

Because the pool of online players is different from the pool of over the board players (which itself will vary from country to country when it comes to national ratings), numerical comparisons are meaningless.

I have seen various online ratings differ wildly from otb ratings for known players.

Also some players are much better at online than offline for really minute reasons, like the physical presence of an opponent changing their psychology, etc. The same goes the other way. Its funny how much of a difference even the different ways of "seeing" the board make to some players.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)