China Rising (1 Viewer)

supercharged

HSC
N/A
About time, if only reforms were implemented in mainland China some 30 years earlier, it would already be a US economically and geograpically sized version of Hong Kong or Taiwan. But later than never though. :)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Couple of points:

Old news the OECD has just agreed with previous analysis of economic data.

Evryone likes to think of things as linear - continuing as they are, this is not always the case. Indeed there are some huge hurdles in China's path. ie the difficult transition from command to a free economy, rural/urban tensions, international tensions esp with the US.

heybraham

HSC
china is a country that is stronger than its leaders. the only reason why china is playing catch-up is because the imperial system screwed up (coz it sucked in the first place) and got replaced by a system that was not arguably worse, but was lead by an infinitely incompetent revolutionary (mao zedong). he was an uneducated man who ruled with an iron fist, although his ambitions were impressive. unfortunately, the consequences of these events have lead to china playing catchup to america instead of the western world playing catchup to china, not to say the renaissance was not impressive

china has a long way to go.

^___^
HSC
heybraham said:
nd got replaced by a system that was not arguably worse, but was lead by an infinitely incompetent revolutionary (mao zedong). .

i refuse to read anything from you after that sentence

heybraham

HSC
i know, he did a lot of great stuff. but doesn't compensate for his failures.

and it doesn't make sense either, coz im tired, thats why im logging off...about now.

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't really care about the Chinese economy, as long as Chinese politicians keeps their blood-stained hands off Taiwan.
And while you're reading this, might I also remind you that Taiwan is a largely misunderstood country of its own right. Communism and corruption has no place in a democratic country, and Chinese politicians would do well to stop infiltrating.

turtleface

HSC
Taiwan is not a country though, it has just been allowed to govern itself so far.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
turtleface said:
Taiwan is not a country though, it has just been allowed to govern itself so far.
It's a country as far as you could give 'country' an operational definition, without the recognition from different countries/international organisations.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It's a country as far as you could give 'country' an operational definition, without the recognition from different countries/international organisations.
It has a pretty decent Economics and Commerce Organisation (TECO). :>

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
It's part of the same country as the mainland. The only question is over who governs that country. Imo one country can have two de facto governments but in the long run it's preferable for only one of them to remain.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
_dhj_ said:
It's part of the same country as the mainland. The only question is over who governs that country. Imo one country can have two de facto governments but in the long run it's preferable for only one of them to remain.
Without taking into consideration the one-China policy, there are three de facto governments in China. The Central People's Government, the government in charge of HKSAR, and the government in charge of Macau SAR. Though these are techically temporary (fifty years), they are working well.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
poloktim said:
Without taking into consideration the one-China policy, there are three de facto governments in China. The Central People's Government, the government in charge of HKSAR, and the government in charge of Macau SAR. Though these are techically temporary (fifty years), they are working well.
yes. SAR is a model of "one country two system" olive branch that the central govt is offering taiwan.

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
I'm gonna get burnt at the stake for this, but oh well, it's my opinion.

The West seriously needs to put a dent in China's economic growth somehow. Sure the US kinda sucks, but I'd rather have America as the world's preeminent superpower.

Hopefully some freak mutation of birdflu will do the trick, or something. If not, I'm sure we can make up some mythical link between China and Al Queda, then go bombing the shit out of everything looking for weapons of mass destruction that we already know we're not going to find.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
That's taking things too far. Yes, I prefer the USA to have an aura of officiality in world order, but attacking China? The likely event is that both with be so significantly reduced that a third country will try to claim the world.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That's taking things too far. Yes, I prefer the USA to have an aura of officiality in world order, but attacking China? The likely event is that both with be so significantly reduced that a third country will try to claim the world.
China is comming around to Western-Style thinking as they become a nation much more like the USA.

dandel26

HSC
What do u think the future of Taiwan is? Complete incorporation into China or same as is at the moment?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
I'm gonna get burnt at the stake for this, but oh well, it's my opinion.

The West seriously needs to put a dent in China's economic growth somehow. Sure the US kinda sucks, but I'd rather have America as the world's preeminent superpower.

Hopefully some freak mutation of birdflu will do the trick, or something. If not, I'm sure we can make up some mythical link between China and Al Queda, then go bombing the shit out of everything looking for weapons of mass destruction that we already know we're not going to find.
Maybe. The combined populations of India and China will see the world back in the stone age when those countries' economies get going. On the other hand, Americans use 50 times more energy per person than other countries, and twice as much as Australians, so you could argue in favour of bombing them instead.

But then again, how much energy would it take (ie. conducting war) to significantly reduce the population of these three countries? How long would it be before the initial investment of this energy paid itself off? Obvioiusly you could just nuke the major population centres, but that would probably cause a nuclear holocaust and we'd be dead, hence no gain. So more conventional bombing would have to be used, which is fairly expensive I'd imagine.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
What the fuck is wrong with BoS?

Your opinion is fucking awful because no sane government will do anything to jeopardise world security by trying to wipe out a potential rival's population. After all, it's easier and more profitable to trade with another country for goods and resources than trying to occupy them with force (hence, no more colonialism).

Also, that article is down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)