• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

China vs Taiwan (3 Viewers)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
There is no use arguing against me, because my arguments are correct.
You keep telling yourself that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Phanatical seems to have a bit of a distorted view of how powerful china really is, while they are definately a powerful nation militarily they could probably outspend taiwan however china's weaponry isn't that advanced, ie. China is buying it's weaponry off russia...

obviously been reading 'China Today'
lmao
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2003-11/21/content_306524.htm

yes.... an old 1980's submarine during a us-japan military training excercise hoisted the chinese flag off the japanese coast :rolleyes:

During the 1980's australia sent a ship close to china and it was enough to worry them, china arguably doesn't have the military capacity to beat taiwan and definately doesn't have anything compared with the us.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Phanatical seems to have a bit of a distorted view of how powerful china really is, while they are definately a powerful nation militarily they could probably outspend taiwan however china's weaponry isn't that advanced, ie. China is buying it's weaponry off russia...
He sounds just like my dad. Extremely pro-Beijing, and oblivious to the fact that he is biased. Recall before how he thought China was the 'largest and most powerful' nation of the world. I'd love to believe that, because I'm patriotic, but the fact remains that his opinions are heavily swayed towards Beijing's favour. As soon I read that bit, I just thought to myself about the amount of time I wasted arguing with this clown. It kinda reminds me of when I argue with those heavily patriotic Americans (usually Republicans, may I add) who just totally distort things to favour his side, and argumentatively believes that they are totally flawless. Funny, yet sad.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea I find it amazing how people get such distorted views of the 'power' of various countries...
To me the way i see it is the most powerful nation (militarily) is the us, followed by russia, then perhaps by countries in the EU.

While i know that China will become one of the most powerful nations in the world, i dunno if they'll end up with as powerful a military as i'm not sure if the world would allow it giving the possible conflict between them and the US... just my opinion.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea I find it amazing how people get such distorted views of the 'power' of various countries...
To me the way i see it is the most powerful nation (militarily) is the us, followed by russia, then perhaps by countries in the EU.

While i know that China will become one of the most powerful nations in the world, i dunno if they'll end up with as powerful a military as i'm not sure if the world would allow it giving the possible conflict between them and the US... just my opinion.
Oh, there's no doubt there will be a showdown with the U.S and China sometime in the future. They are on a collision course to a showdown, of some sort. With the Taiwan issue currently stuck in the middle. China has the largest standing army, but for a conflict spanning internationally, they lack the power projecting prowess of the U.S. China lacks the means to effectively support it's troops at long range, due to logistical problems. China lacks powerful carrier battle groups. China lacks the technology of the U.S. If China wants to strike the U.S and make it hurt, it needs to do it in space. The United States' satellites are it's Achille's Heel. Take down their means to information, and their military loses effectiveness in co-ordination and strike capabilities. Even globalsecurity.org recognises this fact. The nation is, however making quite good progress. It's rapidly modernising it's military and have been cutting down on troop numbers as to create the means to boost quality over quantity instead. It's economy, is of course strong and it's regional influences continue to grow.

^___^
HSC
actually, right now China's miltary strength cannot be underestimated

u might laught at their equipment, but think about it, China's missile technology are ever increasing and definately can finish taiwan with its missile

man, if china seriously want to elimate taiwan, its easy, just send its entire population as an army..we have a fw billion ppl, have u got a few billion bullets? :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
that is what china has developed anti-satellite technology, however the US in a leaked plan that got out a while ago has developed strategies to deal with 6 of the most prominent nuclear countries including china...
I don't believe that the US would actually allow china to develop a force which comes close to that of the united states, which of course would start a showdown which i's assume the us would win (unless it somehow happened now while they were busy in iraq).

At the moment i kinda doubt china has the manpower to even take on taipei, for instance they only have the amphibious equipment to move around 15,000 troops, taipei has developed missiles which can strike some of the more prominant cities of china... for example i believe the head of defence for taiwan claimed 'if china hits us with 100 missiles we will hit them with 50, if they hit taipei and {some other city} we will at least hit shanghai.

Edit: China does have better missiles, they have balistic missiles reaching up to 1800km, however as stated above taipei has also developed their own misiles.
I'm not underestimating china's military i'm just being more realistic, china officially spent $20billion on their military last year however most believe the real figure is around $60 billion, still no where near the us, they are looking after a much larger army and it has become kinda obvious that they're having difficulty developing more advanced military technology at home.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
... said:
actually, right now China's miltary strength cannot be underestimated

u might laught at their equipment, but think about it, China's missile technology are ever increasing and definately can finish taiwan with its missile

man, if china seriously want to elimate taiwan, its easy, just send its entire population as an army..we have a fw billion ppl, have u got a few billion bullets? :p
I never consider 'the missile' because really, I doubt China would use it. I'am assuming you're referring to nuclear weapons, right? Superpowers mainly use them for deterrence, for actual utilisation of them in combat may spell disaster for them. China nukes Taiwan. United States may retaliate with nuclear weapons. It's all over, we have a hellish holocaust. Also, it wouldn't make sense for China to nuke Taiwan, because they regard them as part of it's sovereignty, and would want to use the land. If you weren't referring to nuclear weapons, then I just got horrifically burnt and shall back away now in an embarrassed fashion. :D

The thing with China invading Taiwan with troops isn't that easy, we all know that. If the United States didn't back the Nationalists, then I have no doubt that China probably would of stormed the island by force.. ages ago. But when you have the most powerful nation on Earth backing your opposition up (take note phanyboy, it's the U.S, not China), it kinda well.. sucks for you. lol

^___^
HSC
but you got to think long term

china has the human resources to develop its own missile later in the decade where as taipei will need to continue to buy missiles off other countries, this long term wise will actually benefit who, we will see

as for the 20billion(or 60billion) dollar spend on military, its no surprise, you even stated it earlier, china is practicing its naval exercise in 1980s or even WW2 equipment, it will definately take alot of time and money for the miltary to recover the lost time. And by the way, dun really think china is buying russia's equipment just to compensate, it is well known that china is copying what they bought off the russians :p

and as for that US anti-missile thing, yea isn't that the star wars thingo bush put foward like statellites aroud the globe and shit, yea, i think that plan was put out by every single country cept australia and US..lol

well nuclear missile, is it known only a few countries in the world have good resources on it and China is one of them, however, having said that , uyou are not allow to use nuclear now are we ;) so yea, its like conventional missiles

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No taiwan is a very advanced nation which arguably would be able to develope their technology further than china. Don't forget that china's military equipment comprises mostly of soviet-era weaponry... off russia. Even australia doesn't settle for that (except for our planes).

China is buying it to compensate, and i'm sure also stealing the technology from them to develope their own planes so i agree.

^___^
HSC
taiwan is advance, yes, but they are buying off US

but the thing is, china buying off russia, china can copying and shown they actually reproduce something similiar, taiwan wasn't able to do that military wise

thats the main concern

long term, china will win handsdown unless US will inject its military into Taiwan for free, which will never happen, cos US is only supporting taiwan(well, they said they aren't but by selling its weapons to them, they are) cos taiwan is buying shit off them

its like the isreli and palenstine issue, if actually PLO bought stuff off US, i dun think US would care too much bout isreale

^___^
HSC
currently i'm still convinced they will, but they will come out very very badly injuried

however, having said that, china won't use violence to resolve this problem, even though the stated necessary forces will be used if required...

and to be honest, i don't see this whole situation to be solved within the next 10yrs..its too complicated and theres way too many issues involved, theres enough war around the world nowdays , i hate to see another one

Collin

HSC
N/A
In the long-term, China's 'winning' chances really does depend on the level of support the U.S is willing to make for Taiwan.

^___^
HSC
JKDDragon said:
In the long-term, China's 'winning' chances really does depend on the level of support the U.S is willing to make for Taiwan.
but you also got to ask
"how much can taiwan AFFORD"

answer:

look at their economy and in comparison to China

Collin

HSC
N/A
... said:
and to be honest, i don't see this whole situation to be solved within the next 10yrs..its too complicated and theres way too many issues involved, theres enough war around the world nowdays , i hate to see another one
With Bush's unique doctrines of pre-emption, unilaterism and hegemony, there's gonna be plenty more wars you might see. Erm, namely Iran and North Korea. A conflict in North Korea could spell disaster for China, Japan and South Korea. Crazy Kimmy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lmao taiwan has a BETTER economy, if china had the type of advanced centrist economy which taiwan had it would have ALREADY overtaken the US lmao

Collin

HSC
N/A
... said:
but you also got to ask
"how much can taiwan AFFORD"

answer:

look at their economy and in comparison to China
It's not fundamentally about economy. The fact remains that the U.S's constitutional ideologies are in conflict with China's. Namely, communism. Hence, they will always tend to provide a buffer of support for Taiwan, so that it doesn't become a pushover. If Taiwan can't afford weapons themselves at an adequate level, then the U.S will tend to physically step in to try and prevent a Chinese victory. Considering they have 12 carrier battle groups, I think the Communist Party will have alot to deal in their hands.

^___^
HSC
Iran won't be an issue, they are playing very smart..if u read lately they are "abanding" their projects on uranium or something, what can bush do? nothing :p

n.korea, thats a very interesting place, but Bush wont touch them unless n.korea chucks a Bin Laden cos even though its urban rumor, they have nukes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)