chinese background HSC (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey
i was wondering whether i should keep chinese background for HSC since i'm not even a background speaker. my rank was 4/29
thnx!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I'd keep it if you liked the subject - because 4th is a pretty good ranking and you seem like you're capable of doing the subject. However if you are feeling pressure by workload or if it's too hard drop it. Because Chinese doesnt scale too well (from my knowledge) and it may get difficult for you since you don't have a chinese background - well speaking anyway (you could be like me and be half chinese and not know how to speak it).

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
OK. I came first in my year (a long time ago :p) in chinese, in the top class at my school, but I still dropped it anyway. I still dunno exactly why i dropped it, but main reasons include the fact that it doesn't scale well, and that the higher you go with chinese the more time-consuming it will become. If in the background speakers class your coming 4th, and as you say your not even a background speaker, then go to your teacher and suggest that maybe you be allowed to do the continuers course instead (which is much much much easier :))

Te background speakers course puts you against ppl who have only just come from China, and so it's actually pretty hard, and as the previous poster said, doesn't scale as well as other subjects. But if you get into continuers (which is what your supposed to be in if you haven't studied 1 year or more in China), then you should definately continue, cause you'll kick ass.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Devouree said:
OK. I came first in my year (a long time ago :p) in chinese, in the top class at my school, but I still dropped it anyway. I still dunno exactly why i dropped it, but main reasons include the fact that it doesn't scale well, and that the higher you go with chinese the more time-consuming it will become. If in the background speakers class your coming 4th, and as you say your not even a background speaker, then go to your teacher and suggest that maybe you be allowed to do the continuers course instead (which is much much much easier :))

Te background speakers course puts you against ppl who have only just come from China, and so it's actually pretty hard, and as the previous poster said, doesn't scale as well as other subjects. But if you get into continuers (which is what your supposed to be in if you haven't studied 1 year or more in China), then you should definately continue, cause you'll kick ass.
I know. People who are just fresh off the boat are really good. I would not have done Korean Background Speakers either. Main reason is scaling and the work involved.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Devouree said:

I don't think she can because I think her teacher said that she had done too many hours already of Chinese.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)