Choice of commerce major (1 Viewer)

pete_mate

HSC
i was speaking to a former pwc partner who now works in management consulting at IBM

he says that they hire all sorts of graduates, no matter the degree or major.

basically they hire the talented, sharp ones no matter the degree. Which makes sense, they need lots of new and creative, fresh ideas.

this is differant for something like Audit tho, you need the ACCT training to get into audit. he sneezed at it today tho, no diversity of experience within the career he said.

do the thing your most interested in/best at and you cant go wrong i reckon.

awal1959

HSC
what majors are best for thos ewho are pretty average at maths?

turtleface

HSC
the obvious one would be accounting I think. And Business law, but thats not really a major, just something you have to do with Accounting.

Marketing is more maths intensive than I thought and the hardcore ones do a lot of that econometric modelling. Otherwise, marketing too

Human Resources.

Thats about it I think.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
will a major in actuarial studies complement a double degree with engineering (e.g. computer) ?

awal1959

HSC
turtleface said:
the obvious one would be accounting I think. And Business law, but thats not really a major, just something you have to do with Accounting.

Marketing is more maths intensive than I thought and the hardcore ones do a lot of that econometric modelling. Otherwise, marketing too

Human Resources.

Thats about it I think.
really? i assumed accounting would require a high level of maths.
is finance highlhy maths based?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
erm yes actuary and computer science is a decent combo. how good are you at maths though...cos thats one hectic double major to do.

Capitalist

HSC
For me, the decision was easy.

It was what I love doing - trading in equity markets. So finance was definitely the major for me.

But it also helped that my choice also had decent money, good prospects, and would entail a career which would suit my lifestyle.

Lainee

HSC
I chose econometrics. It was the only major that I don't hate much (I gave accounting, finance, economics, information systems, international business and political economy all a try).

awal1959

HSC
would a maths mark of 75-80 be sufficient to complete a major in finance?

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
why don't you choose whichever one that takes your fancy? Read into it and if it hits you like *this* then choose it?

that's what happened with me. I looked down the list and went, well CLEARLY - marketing. and then i thought ok management or international business? and after speaking to some peeps @ usyd (even though im going to go for UNSW), i figured that my 2nd major will be international business cos its the course i would like to ultimately take.

for me, accounting, finance, business law, taxation etcetc was NEVER an option - i know i'd die of boredom on my desk. so yea fo shizz - personal liking :D

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Im thinking of marketing and management as the majors

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
B Commerce (Finance, Accounting) / Economics ( Economics ) + Diploma of Languages (French)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i only get to choose one major cos im doin a double degree.

i was thinkin commerce (business information systems). wat can any1 tell me about the BIS ?

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
shoxgeneration said:
at UNSW yeah? might see u there then.

(girra = girraween??)
yeah at UNSW, and Girraween.

And ^I guess only 1 major then, cos of the double degree.

Conspirocy

HSC
sunjet said:
B Commerce (Finance, Accounting) / Economics ( Economics ) + Diploma of Languages (French)
how the hell does that diploma work i mean whats ur load like at uni with it??

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
STx said:
yeah at UNSW, and Girraween.

And ^I guess only 1 major then, cos of the double degree.

yeah cool - do u know mumma? and having said that.. daniel, matt, josh etc? haha we met them all at schoolies. it was like woah!

why only 1 major just because of a double degree?
i'm going to do B Comm/Arts and going to major in Marketing/International Business whilst in Arts, French (and at the moment) Art History/Theory. and i triple checked with the man on info day that u can do a double in both so i was like WOOT! :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)