choices of texts in stimulus booklet (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Our English teacher says that we only need to choose 2 out of the 7 texts from stimulus booklet. Is this the correct information ?(coz some other skools almost went through all the texts in the booklet. :( )

In fact, if everyone from different centres chose to take same options, then i suppose the examiner will get very tired of reading the similiar essays? Is that possible for us to prepare for two texts which weren't taught at school very well? Any suggestions on how to be manipulative on writing exam essays on stimulus booklet without being overly trite?

thanx

rockstar01

HSC
All schools should be teaching all the texts in the stimulus booklet. When preparing for an exam you probably want to to focus on two of those to use in an essay.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes you should be learning all of them at school. Prepare two that you like the most. Although I only wrote about one in the exam.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
thanx to both Rockstar and Survivor 39

I am afraid that my english teacher won't go through them as we expected coz it seemed that we'd finished all the things for the booklet by the end of last term. Anyway, I'd better read them by myself :uhhuh:

Another question i am asking for suggestions is :
Which two texts do you think would be very good choices if the exam is focusing on" physical and inner journeys result in gaining new insights and understanding about the world around them and themselves." ? (Personally, i think "Journeys over the Land and Sea" might be a good one since it invovles ppl's physical and intellectual journey ;) )

Thank you again

claudia_p

HSC
You don't need to do all of them.
Don't do 'The Road Not Taken' because EVERYBODY else does, and yes, the markers do get tired of reading it.
:)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
claudia_p said:
You don't need to do all of them.
umm, the what's the point to go through them all if u only want to focus on two texts?

claudia_p said:
Don't do 'The Road Not Taken' because EVERYBODY else does, and yes, the markers do get tired of reading it.
:)
hehe, if everyone knows that other ppl will do 'The Road not Taken', perhaps not many ppl will write it in the exam:p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sirius Black said:
umm, the what's the point to go through them all if u only want to focus on two texts?
so the whole class can choose which one they would like to do. Different students prefers different stimulus texts to write about. And the teacher must give every opportunity to the students to do well by allowing them to have flexibility.

BabieBubski

HSC
Use These!!

Use "CROSSING THE RED SEA"... Yes! It *is* LOOOONG... but its also has the STRONGEST elements of a Physical Journey. I met up with Felix Skrzynecki and went through all the poems (TOTALLY HELPFUL).. and from what he says... the MOST strongest poem is "CROSSING THE RED SEA" and "MIGRANTS AT CENTRAL STATION".

Anywayz, Yeh... Good Luck for the Year 05' .. Im doing my HSC too this year. Im prepared for English & Maths... but im TOOOOOOTALLY needing help with SDD and Senior Science (i use to do Chem.. but it just got way too hard for me) LoL

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
BabieBubski said:
Use "CROSSING THE RED SEA"... Yes! It *is* LOOOONG... but its also has the STRONGEST elements of a Physical Journey. I met up with Felix Skrzynecki and went through all the poems (TOTALLY HELPFUL).. and from what he says... the MOST strongest poem is "CROSSING THE RED SEA" and "MIGRANTS AT CENTRAL STATION".
hehe, you see, even a poet would make grammatical mistakes in his conversation with others. :p btw, it'll be an extraordinary experience to talk with him (altho i thought his name was Peter Skrzynescki or something...)

BabieBubski said:
Anywayz, Yeh... Good Luck for the Year 05' .. Im doing my HSC too this year. Im prepared for English & Maths... but im TOOOOOOTALLY needing help with SDD and Senior Science (i use to do Chem.. but it just got way too hard for me) LoL
thanx &good luck to ya too

*whew*, could anyone clarify the minimum choices of texts in HSC ?
Is it "2 prescribed texts + 1 from stimulus booklet + 1 own chosen text
thanx

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sirius Black said:
*whew*, could anyone clarify the minimum choices of texts in HSC ?
Is it "2 prescribed texts + 1 from stimulus booklet + 1 own chosen text
thanx
Correct. Although on the examination paper you will often find "at least ONE text of your own choosing", you are more than fine to just write one, as you want your analysis of your other texts in detail. I recommand to just stick to one chosen text.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
so its 2 texts of ur own choosing
2 skrzynecki poems -[O YEA i spelt SkRzYnEcKi rite]and 1 stimulus teXT?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
so its 2 texts of ur own choosing
2 skrzynecki poems -[O YEA i spelt SkRzYnEcKi rite]and 1 stimulus teXT?
If you want to write 2 texts of your own choosing, it's fine. But I only wrote one for my HSC exam. and yes 1 stimulus text; not too sure about how many poems you have to write because I did my HSC in 2003.

goan_crazy

HSC
Survivor39 said:
If you want to write 2 texts of your own choosing, it's fine. But I only wrote one for my HSC exam. and yes 1 stimulus text; not too sure about how many poems you have to write because I did my HSC in 2003.
well our set text is the poems
so its 2-my teacher said

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
what?! i thought it was one of each!!!
1 set text
1 text from stimulus booklet
1 tecxt of your own choosing,

well screw it if its more. lol thats all im preparing for!

p.s. im doing wind in the willows from the stimulus. just coz its 'my teachers fave' and thats the only one she went into

goan_crazy

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
what?! i thought it was one of each!!!
1 set text
1 text from stimulus booklet
1 tecxt of your own choosing,

well screw it if its more. lol thats all im preparing for!

p.s. im doing wind in the willows from the stimulus. just coz its 'my teachers fave' and thats the only one she went into
no if ur doin skrzynecki
thats our set texts-its poems from immigrant cronicle so its 2...
but if ur doin some other text its jus one text
its 1 from stimulus booklet
and at least 1 of ur own choosing
so if ur not doin skrzynecki ur sweet shellybelly087!

goan_crazy

HSC
oops i saw this is in ESL i dont do ESL...im talking english standard and advanced in general for the above
ESL mtie have somethin different...
im not sure

VQ

HSC
Umph?Dun really get it...how if my set texts are the novel "only the heart" and the feliks' poem? should I just discuss one of the poem and the novel? because clearly, there are written 4 texts..

We are doing Winds In the Willow anyway (and most of the time have difficulty in relating it with the essay question)

Our 2nd option is the road not taken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)