choosing a commerce major HELP (1 Viewer)

studyhappy

HSC
I need to make a decision between a major in Finance and Management. I plan to transfer into Commerce/Law with a focus on pursuing law (corporate and then private practice) but I am not sure what to major in within my Commerce degree.

For Finance: I'm worried about the mathematics elements - I can do Maths but I really dislike it - if I don't see the practicality of a topic, I lose interest. I am also not sure if I will enjoy it, because of a lack of understanding of finance. But Finance seems like it would help me pursue law, if I choose to work in-house at the Big 4 or whatever.

For Management: I want to eventually work on a management level (who doesn't). But getting a major in management seems silly because managing people is something that you learn on the job and takes time to reach, and if needed my accreditation can be done through an MBA

HELP THANK YOU

williamdaft

HSC
if you "really dislike it" you would absolutely hate your job 5 days a week, 8 hours + a day of work in an office or a bank. If you hate maths that much, the money isn't worth it, do something you actually enjoy.

enoilgam

HSC
When it comes to choosing a major, it's probably best to wait until you need to make the decision later in semester two. You will be in a far better position to decide once you have completed some units, as this will give you a better indication of the course which is best for you. I started uni intending on pursuing either marketing or finance. However, the foundational marketing course completely turned me off and so did seeing the units I'd need to complete for finance. I ended up enjoying management the most (which was surprising to me), which is why I went for a practical management major in HR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)