choosing between uni of wollongong or sydney uni for compSci (1 Viewer)

trist117

HSC
Hi guys

I got an atar of 77(i know terrible), and want to get into computer science.

I have 2 options

I can either go to wollongong(atar cut off is 75) or I can go to sydney university(atar cut off is 81.3 though I can get in through the flexi plan)

Eventually I want to be able to get into comp sci in UNSW and thinking of transferring after getting a good gpa.

So I am not sure as to what uni should I pick. I have heard that UOW is better for engineering than sydney is, but considering i want to eventually change into UNSW(and then hopefully get a job a google or microsoft, or another large company in artificial intelligence) the reputation of Sydney may be beneficial.

What are your thoughts on this?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want to get into UNSW Computer Science, go to UNSW doing any other degree, and then internally transfer degrees

Flop21

HSC
Hmm, it's a tricky decision.

Sydney as a whole obviously is a top uni with a better reputation. But I have heard Sydney's comp science program doesn't come close to UNSWs.

But I'm not sure how it is in comparison to UOWs. UOW has fairly modern facilities / cse building.

Reputation of unis doesn't matter when transferring do they?

Did you go to USYD open day and check out the engineering and IT building? If so, how was it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm, it's a tricky decision.

Sydney as a whole obviously is a top uni with a better reputation. But I have heard Sydney's comp science program doesn't come close to UNSWs.

But I'm not sure how it is in comparison to UOWs. UOW has fairly modern facilities / cse building.

Reputation of unis doesn't matter when transferring do they?

Did you go to USYD open day and check out the engineering and IT building? If so, how was it?
No, but it's better to internally transfer so you get direct credit transfer

Also it means you don't have to make new friends and the like at the new university. Never, ever, ever discount the social aspect.

trist117

HSC
Yeah idk either
Though I really want to do computer science and mathematics(applied statistics) double degree, is it even possible for me to internally transfer to that(and I do think the 3 bonus points do count so I would make it)

Also how valuable is the reputation of Sydney Uni for eventual transfer into UNSW?

I just found out today that I cannot do mathematics and computer science at the same time in Sydney university, which considering I want to do artificial intelligence, is a big downer.

Though if I go to wollongong I wast 7 points.

What are your thoughts?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can internal transfer for most things at UNSW

Who cares about "wasting" ATAR? If you want to do a course that's 80 ATAR and you get 96, are you really going to do Commerce even though you might hate finance or whatever because "omg wasting my atar"?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Though I really want to do computer science and mathematics(applied statistics) double degree, is it even possible for me to internally transfer to that(and I do think the 3 bonus points do count so I would make it)

Also how valuable is the reputation of Sydney Uni for eventual transfer into UNSW?

I just found out today that I cannot do mathematics and computer science at the same time in Sydney university, which considering I want to do artificial intelligence, is a big downer.

Though if I go to wollongong I wast 7 points.

What are your thoughts?
It's possible to transfer to anything tbh

In first year you do core subjects at any uni which are basically the same so I think you'd get credit transfer if you went USYD -> UNSW

Wouldn't recommend usyd solely on the fact that it's hard to maintain a high wam to transfer (unless you're really determined)

trist117

HSC
You can internal transfer for most things at UNSW

Who cares about "wasting" ATAR? If you want to do a course that's 80 ATAR and you get 96, are you really going to do Commerce even though you might hate finance or whatever because "omg wasting my atar"?
Yeah though I dont think computer science at wollongong has a good reputation though.

trist117

HSC
It's possible to transfer to anything tbh

In first year you do core subjects at any uni which are basically the same so I think you'd get credit transfer if you went USYD -> UNSW

Wouldn't recommend usyd solely on the fact that it's hard to maintain a high wam to transfer (unless you're really determined)
Thanks queenroot, so the reputation isnt much of a problem?

turntaker

HSC
I am in a similar position as you as I got an atar in the 70s and didn't make it to UNSW.
What I am going to do is take up my early offer for UOW and do comp sci there for a year and try and transfer.
It will be easier to get higher marks at UOW than USYD.
I am sure UOW comp sci is better than USYD tbh.

As people above have already mentioned, just go to the one closer to you. Also for things like comp sci, the reputation is not really that important. It comes down to personal skill and your willingness to do extra curricular stuff outside of uni to put you at an advantage when it comes to finding a job. No one is going to give you a job if you go to UNSW and don't have any skills that employers want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)