choosing options (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Can somebody tell me why one should choose an optional physics topic? what are the benefits and do you get taught that topic at school or is it learned independently?

Danger

HSC
sorry if im mistaken... the 5 option topics are optional right?

HSC
your school generally picks what you do, but if youre diligent enough to learn another one by yourself (as an alternative) there is nothing stopping you.

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
do mediacl physics its soooooooooooooooooo interesting and its not hard to do by urself if u want
only problem is that there rnt much notes 4 it here so uld be stuck to wikipedia alot

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Yeah, its the syllabus structure:

you do the 3 core topics:
Space
Motors/Generators
Ideas to Implementation

then you have to do 1 of the option topics....in the hsc exam, the final 25% is for the option topic, so treat it just as seriously as the other topics.

for the option topic, i highly recommend medical physics.
it's easy, shorter than some of the others, and kind of interesting. and despite what others say, i think there are a fair amount of resources available, so no need to worry about that.

so medical physics is the best option - why burden yourself with more work trying to do harder ones when you are only going to get the same amount of marks?

Danger

HSC
yes I was thinking about medical physics because it does seem very interesting. since it is worth 25% i think its just as important as the three core topics.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ianc said:
Yeah, its the syllabus structure:

you do the 3 core topics:
Space
Motors/Generators
Ideas to Implementation

then you have to do 1 of the option topics....in the hsc exam, the final 25% is for the option topic, so treat it just as seriously as the other topics.

for the option topic, i highly recommend medical physics.
it's easy, shorter than some of the others, and kind of interesting. and despite what others say, i think there are a fair amount of resources available, so no need to worry about that.

so medical physics is the best option - why burden yourself with more work trying to do harder ones when you are only going to get the same amount of marks?
I thought Astrophysics was easy.

Kirjava

HSC
A good idea is to check out some of the past HSC physics papers on the boardofstudies website- the end of the papers in particular (the last few questions are usually based on the module of your choice, this should give you an idea of what the module involves).

I would personally elect the Quanta to Quarks unit (particle physics)- by far the most interesting and relevant imo. But it depends what you're after; something interesting or easy marks. Astrophysics would probably come next in my list of priorities, however it does seem in parts dissapointingly narrow in scope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)