Chrisitanity's view on War. (1 Viewer)

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
I would like some general information on the way Christianity has looked at War, mainly WW1 and WW2, as Vietnam War i have completley smashed into my brain, but I cant break down these 2 wars here. Conscription is also an issue (kind of, I know it pretty well) and Mannix I am fluent in ;)
So basically I just need some information on how the view of the Churches (all really) differed on the wars and what their fundamental reason for their opinions was. Thanks for any/all help.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well it would be hard to sum up an entire Christian view on the matter, and come to think about it even giving a unified view of a particular denomination would be hard unless you generalise. Pacifist denominations would have been largely against both wars. Anglican and Catholic views are a little harder to give as a whole. You can generalise and say that much more agreed with WW2 than with WW1, reasons including that the war was closer to home, fighting against communist opposition etc. A key feature to also remember during WW1 was sectarianism, and the influences that may have had.

Its been a while, I hope this (or atleast most of it) is correct :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
there was discussionon on this in the HSC thoughts forum from last year re one of the multiple choice question

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
snapperhead said:
there was discussionon on this in the HSC thoughts forum from last year re one of the multiple choice question
Can you tell me where to find this?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Stomping Ground said:
Can you tell me where to find this?
sorry I didnt get back to you. I was racing out the door as I was typing this (thought I had more time but no.....)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)