Circle Geometry. (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Here's a pretty cool circle geometry problem.

From a point A, a tangent is constructed to meet a circle at B. From the point B, a horizontal chord is drawn to meet the circle again at a point G. From an arbitrary point the circle another horizontal chord FE is constructed and extends to meet AB produced at C.

From the point C, another tangent is constructed to meet the circle again at D.

Prove that the the line DG bisects the interval FE.

Sindivyn

HSC
This question makes me sad, does it involve multiple congruent triangle proofs?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just one actually, but quite tricky.

But there are a couple of ways to do it, as with any other circle geometry problem.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Last problem in the Fort Street Trials.

I had a simplified version (after a bit of working out you can drastically reduce the problem) but decided to post the whole thing.

nightweaver066

HSC

I had a simplified version (after a bit of working out you can drastically reduce the problem) but decided to post the whole thing.
funnily enough, i think this is the exact same question i did at tutor two weeks ago.

jeffwu95

Dumbass
HSC
Proved that angle GDB= angle FCB, they proved cyclic quads twice and used perpendicular bisector theorem

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC

So messy..

Basically let < G be θ

Then < DOB = 2θ

We know triangles DOC & BOC are congruent so < DOC is θ

< DFC = θ as FC || GB so corresponding angles

Since < DXC = < DOC, D, X, O and C are concylic points since angles in the same segment are equal

then < OXC = < ODC as angles in the same segment

Since the line from the centre of the circle to the chord is perpendicular, it must bisect it

Last edited:

math man

HSC
N/A
i had a similar q i gave to my kids using this diagram, where you had to prove XG= XB

math man

HSC
N/A
circle2.png

as an exercise fill in missing reasons, i numbered order i proved each angle

johnpap

HSC
This is actually a pretty neat consequence of the fact that FDEB is a harmonic quadrilateral
I.e. Since DE/DF = CE/CD = CB/CD = BE/BF, FDEB is a harmonic quadrilateral -
then consider taking a perspective from G of FDEB onto the line FE, F and E stay where they are, D goes to X and B goes to the point S at infinity on the line FE, then since the cross ratio of FDEB is preserved XF/XE = SE/SF = 1, (Because S is at infinity), so XF = XE.

seanieg89

HSC
This is actually a pretty neat consequence of the fact that FDEB is a harmonic quadrilateral
I.e. Since DE/DF = CE/CD = CB/CD = BE/BF, FDEB is a harmonic quadrilateral -
then consider taking a perspective from G of FDEB onto the line FE, F and E stay where they are, D goes to X and B goes to the point S at infinity on the line FE, then since the cross ratio of FDEB is preserved XF/XE = SE/SF = 1, (Because S is at infinity), so XF = XE.
Very clever.

math man

HSC
N/A

i found out that no one from the fort street krew could get this question out lol, and it took du over 20 mins to solve it...i guess there cohort isnt that strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)