Citizen Kane for Extension History? (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey,

I was reading about the controversy involved in the making of the film and how it is supposedly a depiction of life of William Hearst. I was wondering if that could fit into the major work looking at this as a sort of controversy.

Or possibly looking at the representation of Hearst in the film ..which would relate to the film as history part of the syllabus.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Hey slowjam, if you want we could discuss this further through MSN? I think I might know you.

Anyway, back to your question. My teacher is very reluctant to involve any kind of literary argument in the history extension projects, because after all, it's history, not English. The drawback I see for this idea is that it may be too English-y and may straddle that dangerous fence between what is a history extension project and what may be an EE2 piece. The only person in my class doing something like you are is the depiction of Tudor England through Shakespesare. And even then, I think our teacher was a bit iffy...

Though, if you can support your idea with the extension syllabus, providing you chat to your teacher about it extensively, it might prove to be quite an interesting topic. Good luck!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a teacher of Extension History I wouldn't have a problem with that topic but other teachers might.

My only concern would be that you weren't significantly overlapping the Modern History course where Hearst is a personality.

However, I have a student this year, looking at the way we view the presidency of JFK as a result of the conspiracy theories about his assassination and that has also been discussed with Marnie Hughes-Warrington who agreed with me that it wasn't significantly overlapping the Extension History Case Study.

Talk to your teacher!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)