civil engineering timetable problem (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
hi guys,

anyone planning to do civil engineering at unsw? i am having timetable problems..

i have chosen the following courses:
SESSION 1 SESSION 2
ENGG1000 Engineering Design MMAN1300 Engineering Mechanics
MATH1141 Higher Mathematics1A MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
PHYS1131 Higher Physics1A GMAT1110 Surveying and GIS 1
COMP1911 Computing1 MATS1101 Eng. Materials and Chem

I have managed to scrape in a reasonable timetable for session 1, but session 2 is almost impossible to organise. even the autotimetable button cannot allocate a timetable because of class clashes...

does this mean i will have to reschedule the courses i have chosen for each session? and, i don't want to have to choose another elective or something like that just because i can't get a damn timetable right!

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks heaps.

Abtari

HSC
While some courses are given twice a year, many courses are given only once a year
I have prepared my timetable for session 1 but can't manage to work out something for session 2.

Does this mean I might have to think about swapping courses from session 1 and 2 with each other in order to prevent any clashes??
Is this allowed, and if so, does anyone know if there is a list of courses that can be done in EITHER session 1 or 2...?

where can i find out about courses that are interchangeable between sessions?

thanks..

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Abtari said:
does anyone know if there is a list of courses that can be done in EITHER session 1 or 2...?

where can i find out about courses that are interchangeable between sessions?

thanks..
www.timetable.unsw.edu.au is your friend. You can go to the civ eng handbook page and pick any subject, then click the 'Session Offered: See Class Timetable' link.

Doing this shows us:
S1 only: ENGG1000
S2 only: -
Both sessions: CVEN1300, PHYS1131, ENGG1811, GMAT1110, MATS1101

None of them appear to have prerequisites, although it might be a good idea to do physics before materials.

Abtari

HSC
drewbrow1 said:
www.timetable.unsw.edu.au is your friend. You can go to the civ eng handbook page and pick any subject, then click the 'Session Offered: See Class Timetable' link.

Doing this shows us:
S1 only: ENGG1000
S2 only: -
Both sessions: CVEN1300, PHYS1131, ENGG1811, GMAT1110, MATS1101

None of them appear to have prerequisites, although it might be a good idea to do physics before materials.

umm, this is true drew, but i was told today by this lady at enrolment support that in addition to ENGG1000, MATH1141 is also available only in s1.
she also mentioned that MATH1241 is only available for s2.
the rest are as stated above by drew..

can someone verify this, pls?

Abtari

HSC
i finally managed to get both sessions to work out without clashes..but could someone advise if this is good, or bad? By the way, these are both 5-day/week sessions with one or two days being just one period for a lecture or something like that..where can I get help if I want to refine my timetable so it takes less days cos I live 2 hours away from UNSW? Also, when is the last day we can change timetables for session 1 and session 2 - i.e. when do they 'lock it in'?

Session1

MATH1141 Higher Mathematics1A
PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A
ENGG1000 Engineering Design and Innovation
MATS1101 Engineering Materials and Chemistry(does it have physics as requisite?)

Session2

GMAT1110 Surveying and GIS1
MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B
MMAN1300 Engineering Mechanics
ENGG1811 Computing for Engineers

Note:
Does it matter which Engineering Mechanics (MMAN1300, MINE1300, CVEN1300 you do? How are they different? I chose them based on which one would make my timetable work lol, and also on which ones didn't have an annoying "TBA" written next to it. Is there a difference between ENGG1811 and COMP1911? Will I be disadvantaged by choosing ENGG1811 instead of COMP1911? Is there anything overtly wrong with doing Higher Physics 1A concurrently with MATS1101?

Last edited:

Numero Uno

HSC
GMAT1110 Surveying and GIS 1
& MATS1101 Eng. Materials and Chem

clash that seemed to be ur original problem

apparently they're going to make new times for these courses as these are the recommended electives

Abtari

HSC
hmm.. there arn't many bosers doing civil engineering i see..lol

um, oh yeah, just wondering with the 'TBA' times, and the locations that go 'see your school for location', do we just go talk to the school of civil engineering or something? who do we talk to - the receptionist? dean himself?

thanks

KD

HSC
N/A
The School has an office on the 4th floor that will answer your queries.

Abtari

HSC
quickly,

has anyone not been able to enrol in one of GIS&surveying and Engineering Mats and Chemistry (the two recommended electives), because of an unavoidable timeclash?

has anyone received any information about where and when math1141 lectures, and tutorials are going to be held? it says in timetable, "TBA" - when they announce, are they gonna give more than one option, because many ppl may have clashes if they just give one time..

did anyone have their computing for engineers tutorial-laboratory (wotever that means???) like dropped..i.e. deleted from their timetable -> mine was, and I got an email notice to go with it, as well. are they gonna put a new time up, or is it gonna stay that way?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)