fucking enoguh with this prestiage facade

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
clissold

my 2 cents' worth

1) to do engineering have at least Ext 1 maths

2) to be a professional Engineer, TAFE is not the way to go

3) because Engineering lost its popularity last 15 or so years, we ended up with the perverse situation of a relatively low UAI/ATAR cut-off for many of the engg course which imo is ridiculous. Engg (if not dumbed down) are very academically challenging courses. You have to be strong in maths (minimum Ext 1) to handle the reqd maths content. For Electrical & Electronic Engg, the maths is especially tough. [maybe, because of the relatively low ATAR cut-off may be the courses have been dumbed down; else too many will have to be failed & the Uni will have few students and teaching staff will be cut back]

4) There is an unprecedented mining boom occuring right now in Australia, esp. in iron ore, coal, base metals(lead, zinc, copper etc), LNG (from both conventional natural gas and lately, coal seam gas in Queensland & northern NSW. The industry itself is worried about the coming serious shortage in skilled manpower (engineers, technicians, tradesmen etc).
I'm not sure what type of engineers they are looking for; I guess it'd be mainly: civil, mechanical, chemical, petroleum & mining. I think need for electrical and electronic would be relatively low in mining - but I could be wrong. [You can check with the industry body & the weekly Mining supplements in The Australian. I don't know if the average school career advisor knows enough]

5) For Civil Engg, annabackwards, who was extremely active on bos in 2009, may be able to help. I believe she is doing Civil in U NSW.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeahh Ive heard that UNSW and USyd are the best..

mmmm, I disagree.. and hahahaha, it wouldnt surprise me :p

If you dont mind me asking..

What Uni do you go to, what ATAR did you get, and how do you find Civil Engineering..?

This is only available through UNSW or USyd, right..?
UNSW is the best option imo; but USYD, UTS and UoW are also alright. The standard at UWS Engineering is extremely shit, only go there if it's a last resort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)