Civil/enviro engineering ... which uni? (1 Viewer)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm just wondering which uni use think is best for civil or environmental engineering (or a combination of the 2) ... usyd, unsw or uts ?

ohne

HSC
UNSW is best in my opinion, because you can major in traffic. I'd rather becomea traffic engineer than get into construction or something like that.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i agree even though i havent done any courses but everyone i know says unsw is better in that field and lots of my friends have passed on the usyd and uts courses to go for unsw.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
If you live in sydney then UNSW is probably your best bet :)

However, if you live in / near wollongong or newcaslte then you should consider UoWor UNewcastle as they both have excellent engineering schools

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
UOW's engineering and science faculties are some of the best in Australia and with links to industry due to its geographical location (Steel, Coal, Mining etc), it provides a great place to gain experience not to mention the uni having a 100% employment rate of engineering graduates.

Mumma

HSC
I always thought UTS would be a great choice because of their 12 months work experience?
But damn does the Civil/mining Double at UOW look tasty...

Last edited:

epsilon

HSC
How are the job prospects of engineers here? Heard that mining engineers get whooping high pays, but some others have problems even finding jobs. I once read this article about a Romanian/Polish/Eastern European engineer who migrated here and is now working as Santa Claus. Scary....

MoNNiE

HSC
It depends what engineering discipline your decide to take,

Sometimes overseas qualifications aren’t recongised in Australia

Such as my ex neighbour's husband is an electrical engineer with 15 years experience from the Philippines, when he tried finding a job as an electrical engineer in Australia. The employers said that his qualifications aren't recognised in Australia..

I remember reading an article awhile back about a pretty renown architect from where he came who migrated to Australia looking for a job, to his dismay, he found that he was unqualified as an architect in this country. Now he works as a cab driver in Sydney..

ohne

HSC
epsilon said:
How are the job prospects of engineers here? Heard that mining engineers get whooping high pays, but some others have problems even finding jobs. I once read this article about a Romanian/Polish/Eastern European engineer who migrated here and is now working as Santa Claus. Scary....
Mining engineering is very good. It probably has better outcomes than any other course (including medicine, dentistry etc.). After that civil and surveying are probably the next best (in terms of finding work) and all disciplines pay quite well compared to most uni degrees.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i hear that unsw has a great engineering faculty. better than usyd or uts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)