• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

clarifying some definitions (1 Viewer)

heeyeoni

HSC
for the 'one gene one enzyme' hypothesis
i'm a bit confused on what what exactly is the relationship between some of them.
If anyone could just clarify the definitions of gene, enzyme, protein and polypeptide in relation to each other that would be great
thanks!

rhia

salty
HSC
proteins are amino acids that are joined by peptide bonds: many enzymes are proteins. polypeptides are also proteins: they are long molecules of linked, in a defined order, amino acids.

the one gene - one enzyme hypothesis was originally called the one gene - one enzyme hypothesis because it was thought that each gene controlled the synthesis of one specific enzyme.

but it was later changed to the one gene - one polypeptide hypothesis because it was discovered that some enzymes consist of more than one polypeptide.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
A gene can encode molecules such as a polypeptide

A polypeptide is a chain of amino acids linked together

A protein can be made of up 1 chain of polypetide folded in a particular way. A protein can also be complex and compose of many polypeptide

An enzyme is a type of protein, which is responsible for catalysing reactions. So most enzymes are protein, but not all proteins are enzymes.

So when we say one gene one polypetide is more correct compared to one gene one protein, it is because proteins that are made up of many polypeptide require many genes. So saying one gene one protein is not really correct.

I hope this helps.

heeyeoni

HSC
thanx heaps^^
yeh that fulled cleared things up.
i dunno if it was just me but the definitions given were all kinda different and hard to decifer:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)