• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (2 Viewers)

HSC
Apparently my unseen seems to be wrong-ish (>> << >>), but I'm not taking that necessarily to heart. I just have to go through some stuff for it, but I'm sure you would do a better attempt than me. XD

I'm so hungry but I don't want to eat because I intend to stock up at maths dinner so my concentration levels have gone to hell...I'm not doing the Grammar Ext Latin essay either...I'll just do my intro, my points and then a conclusion.

I think you probably could do an essay in the free if you time yourself...I need to get mine done so I can print it, how annoying!

Thucy was something ridiculous like 11-16, bloody hell that's like 2 and a half Thucy pages and knowing me I remember nothing of it...but yeah no homer tomorrow.

I'm getting annoyed with how pedantic everyone is about unseens...Lindley and I were kind of angsting about it in the back corner...that stupid Livy thing...seriously like we'd get decent marks for those in the HSC.

It's official. Classics rules our lives, and do you know what Zara? All the classes that I have tomorrow are English and then 3 lots of Classics, lucky me (at least you have Bio to break it up!!!)! Ki and I can't go home in our free either, oh well! >> << >> Looks like we'll be distracting each other instead.

Have fun on your date with Kayley and Cam and Toy Boy!? XD

Mr Gumby

HSC
Well, you know what Vergil, Lucretius, the Metamorphoses and the Great Gatsby are about. Actually, the Metamorphoses rates a fairly close second to the Aeneid. The Coetzee text is a novel called Elizabeth Costello, which I had to study for an exam earlier this year. Actually, it's not so much a novel as a series of philosophical debates about realism, animal rights, the representation of evil, eroticism etc. It's very strange. But very interesting too. And put Sydney first. You know you want to.

I've perfected a few phrases in Latin for everyday use. People say 'salue' to me in corridors instead of 'hello' half the time, which is a bit odd. Stuff like that, 'uale', 'satisne', 'ualeo'. I couldn't have a conversation in Latin, though. What's your masterpiece about? I used to write stories about Xerxes and Leonidas in Greek during my maths lessons in Fourth Form. That's probably why I bombed out in maths.

Do you have dinners for each subject? That's very extravagant. We don't really do anything for our last lessons. I am going to wear my Julius Caesar t-shirt and laurel wreath to my last ancient history class, but that's about it. In fact, the study day takes up what would have been our last Greek lesson.

Is this your last week at school, or do you finish next week?

Last edited:
HSC
I think your insanity has just been proven.

Dinner for all the subjects we can organise. Matters is having an actual Roman feast in the holidays -- marzipan doormice, roast lamb and stuff. Apparently takes her three days to cook o_O

We finish next week. Countdown on Wednesday, final chapel and assembly and stuff on Thursday.

What's the masterpiece about? I really don't think you want to know. But we do want you to read it out loud in Latin at the Garden Party so we can see your reaction. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mr Gumby

HSC
I assume you're talking about Elizabeth Costello. That's not a novel I would have chosen to read if it had been up to me, but having read it, I think it's a great book. It won a Nobel Prize, so it can't be all that bad. And as for the Latin greetings, I don't ask people to say 'salue' to me. I just think it's good to be able to respond in kind. Half the people who say 'salue' don't actually know any Latin, so it's always amusing to see how quickly they get out of their depth.

An actual Roman feast? We had a breakfast with our Latin Ext. teacher this morning, which was nice - discussing Lucretius and Cicero over coffee and toast, etc. But marzipan doormice? Come on! If you're going to do that, do it properly. Have real doormice.

Hah hah, we finish on Friday.

Fakhri

HSC
The roman feast...i am just afraid of...cause firstly apparently we are having lamb (not my fancy) with REAL (whatever tha means) authentic dressing etc..
i really hope that mrs Brunning will bring her roman cheesecake...she used to make it for us at the end of every term..but havent had it for a while...that is basically the only time i eat anything with chocolate in it..cause she usually puts bits of chocoalate flakes..but she makes it and so i eat it..its actually ok..i really only enjoy the crust..and the lemon centre..but its still good..

i can't believe that you wrote stuff in greek....MY GOD..nicholas you are sad as i thought you were (guess i shouldn't have been surprised though)...

Steph...you are crazy you knew more in thuccy today than either i or ki, you know stuff you just don;t think you do...silly silly silly....

BTW steph/ki if you are interesting i did not go to dinner with cam..it was just a date with kayley..and at times toyboy...who odly at about 9...sms kayley saying "What r u doing?"...cute although..he seems a little sad..considering he as no friends during certain periods of the day...when ext maths i on...sad boy...oh well...still
btw we need a name for him besides toyboy...considering we can't shout that out...cause altough usually on trains we get weird looks and stares...i don't think i want that during my whole life!!!!!!!!

Which is why it would be better for us to take the train to grammar....cause our usually weirdness that goes on whilst going to classics/greekie outings will not occur..unless...no ebby can never know...unlike Mr brown/furgesson...who know all....that is weird don't you think????

k going to eat some more ice-cream...oh damn the stress of the HSC...making me eat...or is it my desire to procrastinate??? meh...

HSC
I suppose? But I suppose also even more generally XD

I guess we know some latin phrases too...but yeah maybe we won't go there. I have Extreme Latin, it's a very interesting book which I have to remind myself to bring to school tomorrow.

Pah, I know I'd rather not, but yes seems like it will be pretty real! We have to remember to ask to wear our togas, that reminds me, guys we need to fix our togas. We made them for Classics Dinner in yr 11 in about an hour was it? But hey we won best dressed so that was cool. XD

Our last week is going to be fun anyway, so we're not really complaining. XD

I agree with you Zazie, Mrs B and dessert=DA BOMB!!!

Baha, yeah remember our attempt at translate into greek zara, in yr 10 was it? XD

Shuddup. I actually didn't know that much. I paraphrased to myself and checked the words I really didn't know with my trannie...but seriously you knew heaps more than me for doing zero studying. I def know FA Electra though as was highlighted today. >> << >>

Yes, Toy Boy sucessfully managed to prove he has no friends today bahahaha, he should go and be nice to people lol! I can't think of a substitute to toy boy....but hey with the weird stares and stuff, we'll get immune to it eventually...in fact I think we are already immune!

Bahaha now you don't have to babysit him either because of the sneaky new rule for the club!

Funny how you and Kayley were so tired from you date. XD

I think our trip down on THursday will be hilarious. I think we'll be absolutely silent out of fear, maybe?

Oh well as soon as we arrive, everyone, to their displeasure most likely, will hear of our arrival!

Ice Cream is good...but I just had some chocolate to wake me up (even after Max Brenner last night...). I'm so sleepy but I'm off to learn the Livy and start some of the Ext Latin before conking it by hopefully 9:30? Getting around 3 hours of sleep unintentionally last night has screwed up my levels of concentration.

:wave:

Mr Gumby

HSC
Fakhri said:
i can't believe that you wrote stuff in greek....MY GOD..nicholas you are sad as i thought you were (guess i shouldn't have been surprised though)...

Well, if it's a choice between maths and Greek, I know which I'd prefer. It would have been sadder if I'd done the maths.

HSC
The insanity was the writing of stories about historical figures in Greek.

God. I think I'd just got over the 'translating Virgil for fun' and then you spring that on us.

I think maths is keeping me sane.
I never thought I'd say that before this year D:

Mr Gumby

HSC
Well, imagine the scene. You're sitting in a maths class, next to someone who's not particularly interesting. You're supposed to be listening to a teacher who's certainly not interesting, talking in a monotone about something that could never be interesting. In a word, you're slightly bored. You turn to the back of your exercise book. Doodling is fun for a while, but because you're in danger of having your brains ooze out through your nose out of sheer tedium, you decide to do something more challenging. You decide to write in Greek. If I spoke German or Russian (both of which I'm going to take up at uni next year) I'd have written in German or Russian. I could just as easily have written about Mickey Mouse, if I knew the Greek word for mouse (actually, I have a Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh - Winnie ille Pu - so I could have done that). Given the options, a Greek story about Xerxes seemed like a good idea. Next time, though, I'll show more consideration and make sure you've fully recovered from one revelation before springing another on you. I'm sorry.

antiphon

HSC
Mr Gumby said:
And as for the Latin greetings, I don't ask people to say 'salue' to me. I just think it's good to be able to respond in kind. Half the people who say 'salue' don't actually know any Latin, so it's always amusing to see how quickly they get out of their depth.
"Hah! See how these plebeian fools flaunt their ignorance!"

this is what he's like all the time. you get used to it.

Greek Study Day tomorrow, hope it's good!

HSC
Your poor maths buddy - ditched because Greek stories were more interesting. Poor, poor thing.

The difference between writing in German (picking German because I did it for a decent while before being scared away by my teacher. She wore leprechaun shoes and taught us at a pace of one chapter per term. And explained the difference between nominative and accusative FIVE times. in FIVE different lessons. And this in year 10. D: ) and writing in Classical Greek is that:
1) German is spoken and written in the present day.
2) It does not require balanced clauses, extra iffy words nor too much declining - if you stuff up the endings you can still make sense of it.
3) It's not Classical Greek.
4) It's NOT CLASSICAL GREEK.
There are more, but I'm tired, have panda eyes and should be doing past papers.

It would be forgivable, if I thought you would make as much of Xerxes' ripping of robes and whipping of rivers as we did...

But German will be good. Baha. Foreign languages are awesome fun to speak in public places, for all the odd looks. Iris and I had a very long conversation on the way to the Quarantine Station in year 10, and the awed looks were awesome XD. Even though we descended into "Blaume...Haus...Auto" (flowers...house...car) by the end of it.
And I have proved that singing annoying songs in German may put you in threat of being thrown off mountains by angry short people XDDD. "Haben Sie bitte dieses Rock in grau, in grau, haben Sie bitte dieses Rock in grau, in grau? Welche grosse tragen Sie? Sechsundvierzig? Das passt nie! Probieren Sie grossen achtundvierzig an" (to the tune of the ants go marching one by one).
And of course there's Schnappi...

As much as I'd like to end up fluent in German, I think I'll be taking on the evils of French at uni. I could do the Languages option, but it seems more fluffy than the others. Maybe. Hopefully I'll learn to like French D: D: D:

--
Hey Jeremy! We didn't scare you away :D
I think we'll get used to him when he gets used to us, which I'm not sure will ever happen :3. Especially once he reads Steph's masterpiece.

It should be good. It'll definitely be funny.

...And it looks like you'll all get to see my uber-sexy conjunctival haemorrhage. Hope you're alright with blood bahahaha.

HSC
Dude, Ki, I have been wondering what made your eye asplode. XD

Maths is alright, I guess? Nat and I had a lot of fun in our maths years together, talking about things people had sent her on the internet while Ms Lau gave us really odd looks and Zara and Iris the "twins". I almost fell asleep in maths today...I had no energy to do anything that required me to think...so I think I caved after a while and stared into space while talking to ash about god knows what and mrs stock telling us to shut up...but yeah maths is bearable...XD (3unit was GAYNESS though)

Eww German. Jenky tried to get us to sing a song in German at Canto...it was a very traumatic experience (song was nice-ish though)...even worse than cringe worthy church latin. "NICHT"

Russian on the otherhand may be taken by me at uni next year instead of me picking up French again...I want to be different plus I have no confidence in myself to think of some sort of achievable direction for me.

French was enjoyable, but I caved somewhere around the end of yr 8 or 9 because of shitty teachers...Lindley and I had the best time though (mucking around and me moaning at her to do my work because I cbb)...

The problem with me and French is that I had become very accustomed to learning language like we were with Latin and Greek. As a result I developed a massive hate in writing and listening especially. I'm sad that I lacked the confidence in myself for my ability to speak the language though...before I decided French was gay I was actually pretty decent at everything and not just reading. I love reading in French...writing was gay and listening pissed me off, but the rest was good.

We went on cool excursions too...I loved going to the Alliance Francais. They had cool post cards and magazines and we watched the Jungle Book in French...even though we had to have a speaking test...>> << >>...and Spud ate snails which was eww.

Either way, I intend to get fluent at French at some point too, purely for my amusement in the most uninnocent ways most likely and so that I will be able to bitch in a foreign language.

Eww. I really don't feel like doing an Electra Essay plus Extension Latin...I really want to finish writing to Spud too. T_T

Tomorrow will be very interesting INDEED!

antiphon

HSC
christmasbeetle said:
Hey Jeremy! We didn't scare you away :D
I think we'll get used to him when he gets used to us, which I'm not sure will ever happen :3. Especially once he reads Steph's masterpiece.

It should be good. It'll definitely be funny.

...And it looks like you'll all get to see my uber-sexy conjunctival haemorrhage. Hope you're alright with blood bahahaha.
oh, conjunctival haemorrhages are soooooooo hot right now. I was thinking of getting one or two myself, actually.

sorry. couldn't resist. :)

anthropoestin

HSC
you must do russian, it's simply awesome. I've been doing it for about a month or so and it's so much fun. There are six cases which correspond pretty much to the ones that you all will appreciate; nom, acc, gen, dat, and then there's the instrumental and prepositional which serve the functions of the ablatvie pretty much. Grammar is very very interesting. In one sense it is extremely basic, i.e. no definite article, no indefinite article (latin serves well), no word for "to be" etc but their idea of a tense system is most different. It almost relates to the Greek idea of aspect, where tenses in Russian are all about how they are done and when they are finished as opposed to in what order or time frame things take place...it's a great language! I have found it difficult to find a course book which i really like..i tend to be a traditionalist and like old books filled with exercises..atm i'm using "colloquial russian" by Svetlana le Fleming which is quite good.

Ahh french, the language (at least the modern one) perhaps most dear to me. French was the first language which i ever learnt....once a fortnight on tuesday mornings in year 4 i remember hahah...and now i procrastinate or try and do my greek homework in class because i have to listen to ppl say things like "what is a verb?" the funniest was when one of my mates who, unfortunately gramatically illiterate, asked, "so if the subjunctive's a mood...does that mean you only use it when your grumpy?"

everyone looked at hugo (fellow latin bud) and i when we burst into tears....and this all sounds very obnoxious so forgive but i finished yr 11 exams today!!! hurrah latin was lame and stuffed it because i spent too much time playing mahjong (recently discovered)...why is it that german gets such a bad wrap?? i like german, it's actually quite a nice language to listen to even if i can never master that guttural cough in the back of the throat...

sooooo everyone fired up for tomorrow!!? are we wearing uniforms or what? i guess the school will make me anyway...btw grammar guys have you seen that thing on facebook about top 9 schools...i wonder who did that?? looks like a non-biased study..cough cough hahah

see you all tomorrow...btw i just got a really bad haircut so my beautiful long flowing locks have gone, so no paying me and my bad haircut out..

HSC
Wow. How funny. Influx of Greek nerds on the thread the day before study day!

Yeah, awesome, I will start looking at Russian...after the HSC! XD

Don't worry I get iffy over people who are illiterate like that too. I have some really stupid people in my English class.

I'll be falling asleep on a desk tomorrow...I'm in the process of multi-tasking. I'm doing both a Latin Ext paper and an Electra essay, both due tomorrow, but no I'm only inspired to get them done now...I was filling in a friendship book.

Alassity! Oh well I'll be done by 12:15, I hope!

Mr Gumby

HSC
It's not just the Latin greetings. I have a friend who's freaky-good at German, and I greet him in German. 'Guten Morgen', 'guten Tag', 'auf wiedersehen', stuff like that. I too get out of my depth very quickly. So it's not like I think all these wannabe Latin speakers are plebeian fools flaunting their ignorance. If that were the case, I would have to say the same about myself. What's German for 'plebeian', Julia?

And I have to agree with Jeremy, conjuctival haemorrhages are very in.

Well, 'uenit summa dies et ineluctabile tempus', as Vergil would say. I'm sorry, I too couldn't resist.

anthropoestin

HSC
very nice meeting you all today...thought the arvo was pretty interesting..what did you guys think??

i thought banshard was v. good...the american guy said some stuff which i don't know i agree with...especially that bit about us assuming that everything electra says is a lie and we ought not to believe it because this is euripides employing farce...well, maybe. but then again, i think some things are simply tragic; the poverty of her situation on the outskirts of the city etc..i'm not so sure about the farce just yet...

i thought someone might talk about unseens for a moment, or even our set text translation..i mean everyone gets so wrapped up in the essays and they're only worth 20 marks of the paper...what are your translations like?? strict to grammar to show understanding, fluent to show skill and flair...or a happy medium? i do never know...

ah well, i'm going to finish reading ion tonight - great play if you've got any time left, though i doubt it with all your other subjects...it has lots of undertones to electra though...

HSC
Thucy guy didn't see hugely relevant, though it was interesting. Euripides guy seemed relevant but did it too black-and-white -- Electra does have some fair points, and Clytemnestra is not all sympathy --, and the Homer guy was very very good :3

And you still have my pen.

For Euripides, our translations are what our teacher tells us...XD. Uhm. Accounting for every word but changed around a bit if it makes better English. Thucy is really very literal.

So incredibly stuffed for unseens.

So we're seeing you tomorrow?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)