• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Classical music - culprit or concentration booster? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
There had been many issues and controversies over the years in regards to classical music's "ability" to help students concentrate better and longer. I just want to clarify if that is true or not by asking YOU if you have ever experimented or experienced.

P.S. can any other music help you study more efficiently if classical music cannot?

ANY comment or tip to improve concentration will be greatly appreciated. :uhhuh:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Classical music bugs the shit out of me. I go batty everytime I'm put on hold.

bassistx

HSC
I'm not sure about classical music, but any sort of noises/sounds that you would not hear in an exam room should definitely be avoided.
If you concentrate listening to music and then during your HSC etc you don't have any music to listen to, you're screwed.
That's what happened to me. I couldn't work in class anymore because I need metal blaring in my ears to concentrate.

Just avoid music altogether. You'll find you get used to it eventually and you work x10 faster without music. Think of your fave song - are you gonna concentrate listening to it, or get up and start dancing? I'm going for the latter.

Jachie

HSC
Nah music motivates me heaps. I can't stand complete silence, it's why I always sleep with the fan on regardless of how hot/cold it is.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
kill paradise is currently helping me through maths.

bassistx

HSC
Jachie said:
Nah music motivates me heaps. I can't stand complete silence, it's why I always sleep with the fan on regardless of how hot/cold it is.
What about during exams? Tap your toes, your pencil, whatever? I just think we should get used to the silence. It's going to be deafening on our exam days.

I listen to stuff that I can't help but get up dance to (reggaeton mostly now). So for me, it just doesn't work :(

I sleep w/o clothes, regardless of how hot/cold it is :) The fan thing is a waste of power, but during the summer definitely have it on haha.

Jachie

HSC
bassistx said:
What about during exams? Tap your toes, your pencil, whatever? I just think we should get used to the silence. It's going to be deafening on our exam days.

I listen to stuff that I can't help but get up dance to (reggaeton mostly now). So for me, it just doesn't work :(

I sleep w/o clothes, regardless of how hot/cold it is :) The fan thing is a waste of power, but during the summer definitely have it on haha.
I'm tapping my toes and my pencil regardless of whether i'm listening to music or not, that's just me. I don't really see your point tbh.

bassistx

HSC
My point is noise and concentration. If there's no music in the exam room, what do you concentrate on?

Nothing.. Just brought up sleeping lol.

HSC
I listen to whatever I normally do, which includes a fair bit of classical. I don't find it to boost concentration over any other music. I listen to music any time I'm in my room but I don't find that changes how I act in the exam room: you usually concentrate really hard then trying to remember things; the rare times I study I'm not really concentrating as hard as I can.

undalay

HSC
bassistx said:
My point is noise and concentration. If there's no music in the exam room, what do you concentrate on?

Music definitely gets you through vast amounts of labouros work. It can make 3 hours of math just fly by.

During the exam, where music is not allowed, you won't be bothered with the work you're doing, instead the adrenaline will be taking over.

Music = helps through tedius work
Exam = adrenaline, no music needed.

bleu

HSC
i agree with undalay.

Listening to classical music is so motivating! i work much better when its on. Sometimes i just turn some music on when i don't feel like studying and it completely changes my attitude to positive.

i don't find it affects me in exams at all. why would it?

EDIT: @ Sonata - with my above sentence i meant why would listening to music when i study make me work less effective in exams. it's not like i become dependant on the music to work......Sonata i think you read the sentence the wrong way, i wasn't asking why music doesn't help me in exams... :)

Last edited:

Sonata

HSC
because the exam is sumthing u hav to do, studying is a choice of ur own thats why music comes in to help motivate u or so to get the job done

blakegman

HSC
N/A
bassistx said:

Answering the questions is usually a good start. I fail to see how not having music during the test is a hinderance. it wasn't for me, or anyone else i knew who had music on during study.

Studying conditions =/= Exam conditions

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
lol @ above.

i agree that music helps you study, but you have to knuckle down in the exam.
and obviously concentrate on answering questions.

jamiesmith91

HSC
i used an ipod during my yr 10 sc, that was awesome. Haha i could have cheated so easily.

Taskan

HSC
I find that music, though not necessarily classical, since i don't have any, helps me when I'm getting bored, particularly The Strokes, don't know why though

eddy11

HSC
techno and dance music for some unkown reason makes me work faster and i feel more focused. It doesnt distract me either becuase i wouldn't normally listen to it and its not one of my prefered genres. I think the fact there is a consant and loud, yet predictable noise prevents distractions from around me, where as rock n' roll, and my favourite songs compel me to sing along and the lyrics distract me. Metal would make sense to work as well, especially instrumentals.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Classical music is probably less distracting than normal music because it usually lacks vocals - i.e. you're less likely to sing along with it - and I don't know of many people who can sing along to a song AND memorise HSC syllabus notes all at the same time...

It's probably best you listen to no music at all - or, if you just HAVE to.. then, at least music without vocals :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)