clerkship applications (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey mj/iwr/belinda/any wayward penultimate year lawyers how are the clerkship apps going?

any ideas for what to put in for 'additional information?' i've already covered everything possible to say... why oh why did they make this a compulsory section?

Belinda

O_o
HSC
I've been utterly bludging on them though I'm going to try to have them done before uni starts.

What is this "additional informations" section you're talking about?

HSC
yeah i've been taking my sweet ass time too - wanted to at least wait until the results were in

many of the applications require you to fill in an 'additional information' section (which is mandatory) - after of course eliciting every conceivable detail from you in the other sections. tricky.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ooh, you poor things! I'm not putting myself through the trauma of clerkships, seeing I dont want to practise - hurrah!! Scarecrow, who are you applying for?

Maybe for additional info you could write like "I like shopping, boys, cake (preferably chocolate) aaand... oh, thats right, I like law and your company!"

Have they asked for extra curricular activities? Or mention your interest areas in law...

HSC
g2g you're scaring me i'm not sure i don't qualify for your instant rejection system :bomb:
if i don't get a clerkship after all the time i've been spending on these applications... :burn:
grr damn inadequacy... you live in wonderful denial for most of your life that things are good and you're adequate, and then job applications come around...

what is your biggest achievement: n/a
what are you're interests: n/a
what awards have you received at uni: n/a

too much potential for morbid introspection. mj i'm applying to pretty much everyone i can find, worth a shot right? are you going to practice psych?

iwannarock

HSC
im not bothering with clerkship applications.

with my p average my application would be instant paper shredder material. im not gonna waste my time.

good luck though.

:wave:

Tabris

HSC
This stuff is inching closer and closer every semester, work experience before graduation.... I better plan something for next year and also get cracking this semester to bump up my law GPA.

BTW does it has to be penultimate? whats the minimum? finished all 300 level law and doing 400-500 or just completed all 200 level law.?

HSC
seasonal clerkships with the big firms are only accessible to people with at least one and no more than 4 semesters left.

but who's to say what a 'clerkship' is? we had one girl apply to the firm i'm working at who's only one year into her degree requesting a 'summer clerkship' with us. she probably would have got one, too, if large proportion of her cover letter wasn't grammatically incorrect.

IWR why don't you try something like that? Fire off an email to a number of suburban and middle size firms, commercial firms (that have law departments) etc asking for an unpaid stint in the hols which you can then call a 'clerkship?'

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
IWR, you should just apply for random jobs as a paralegal around the place. Or volunteer.

Scarecrow, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my life! I've been struck by the I'm-sick-of-uni-and-want-to-leave-and-never-come-back bug. Looking into graduate jobs with the government and jobs overseas.

Sigh. I just want to be in Hong Kong or Japan or Spain or France...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'll employ you Iwar.

Clerk of my pance.

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Scarecrow, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my life! I've been struck by the I'm-sick-of-uni-and-want-to-leave-and-never-come-back bug. Looking into graduate jobs with the government and jobs overseas.
i get that all the time.

coincidentally it happens around the night before the assignment is due. and it gets worse and worse with each assignment.

i sit there for an hour seriously considering a way to get to like fiji and leave everything behind.

i'd sell coconuts in fiji.

but then i come to my senses and continue writing the assignment and eventually get it done.

HSC
mj why not just apply then to the ones that have strong links overseas - like Baker & McKenzie etc? I mean even if you get it you don't have to accept.

gosh everyone seems so over law at the moment - i've got a friend who's been padding her cv since the beginning, and has managed a 4.0 in law but has got herself into a funk (partly caused by the overseas bug) and was just going to let the due date slide until i yelled at her for about a straight hour. do u guys know anyone else with a 4.0? two of her friends have also managed that - and i thought i was going heaps well with my 3.5! how can u not get one mark under a D in law - it's nuts!

iwannarock

HSC
GoodToGo said:
I don't think she wants to practice law. Either way, it's not all that easy for a Macquarie student to work for an international firm (especially if your other degree isn't commerce/finance) without post qualification experience.

I don't know anyone from MQ with a 4.0...

scarecrow_of_oz: 3.5 is an awesome gpa! You'll be sure to get interest from the firms. Having said that, big firm life is not for most people - ridiculous hours, ordinary pay (per hour) and enough ego and insecurity to fill a stadium.
im pretty sure a few people in my grade have a 4.0 gpa for law.

you know. the geniuses that you know are gonna become lawyers.

its so stupid though.

they're gonna stick brilliant legal minds from my year in shitty jobs sorting out cases and running errands and just see which ones burn out or not.

i could do that shit.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Wow 4.0! Thats crazy! Wow... just.. wow. But I wouldnt want that much pressure, can you imagine how stressed you'd be trying to maintain that GPA?!

IWR, I like the coconuts in Fiji. You'll have to learn how to crawl up tree trunks on all fours the way the natives do. While your in Fiji, I'll be in Spain doing something underhanded. Too sick to think of any examples at the moment though ;)

Off topic, but I have two questions:

1. I'm a new facebook geek... is anyone else? *hides head in shame*

2. Anyone doing IP or Dispute this semester?

iwannarock

HSC
i had facebook. then realised i had both a myspace and a facebook. one just had to go. facebook deleted.

and im doing IP.

one day takehome exam!:eek:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Ah, I have both. Obviously an internet-hogger-geek.

Yes, one day take home. ONE DAAAAYYY and worth 50% *dies*

Spain is looking so much better.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacce Book

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
GTG, have you had your ADR tute yet? I'm assuming you have, seeing its Friday and all.

Can I just say: I AM IN LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEE!!! Wow, Lise is fantastic, the structure is fantastic; its all fantastic! I'm so glad I'm doing this unit. I'm actually excited about doing it (which never happens).

Also, I *think* I may have a BoSer in my IP tute... I recognised the hair from a picture aaaages ago... I think we all know who I mean ;)

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
GTG, have you had your ADR tute yet? I'm assuming you have, seeing its Friday and all.

Can I just say: I AM IN LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEE!!! Wow, Lise is fantastic, the structure is fantastic; its all fantastic! I'm so glad I'm doing this unit. I'm actually excited about doing it (which never happens).

Also, I *think* I may have a BoSer in my IP tute... I recognised the hair from a picture aaaages ago... I think we all know who I mean ;)
hair:confused:

i have big hair!

:eek:

am i being stalked?

are you in my tute hahahah. :wave:

im in the fri 2-4. am now in the comp labs passing the time until i get a lift home.

i agree about lise being awesome. this might be the first course where i may actually show interest. not that i'd do well. not that i'd work. but i'll be interested. its a start.

i thought she was gonna go all dr rybak on us and bring up her accomplishments every second sentence. but shes cool.

well atleast for now. who knows what she'll turn in to over the comign weeks.

wait......you are talking about IP right.

edit: just realised the convenor in IP is susanne. different subject then yeah.

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yes! At least I think it was you. As I said, it was the hair.

There was the dude with the bug in his thumb... that was just gross.

I'm Yvette (a bit of a non-event, dont have bugs under my skin). My interesting thing was that I'm learning French. Sat next to Courtney - the musical chick who is just lovely. I like the Columbian girls' accents.

Susanna is cool, too. I also thought she was going to Dr Rybak on us, but she is cool. Liked watching the Die Hard video.... although I've never seen Die Hard, it still made sense. Obviously not much of a storyline in there ;)

iwannarock said:
hair:confused:

i have big hair!

:eek:

am i being stalked?

are you in my tute hahahah. :wave:

im in the fri 2-4. am now in the comp labs passing the time until i get a lift home.

i agree about lise being awesome. this might be the first course where i may actually show interest. not that i'd do well. not that i'd work. but i'll be interested. its a start.

i thought she was gonna go all dr rybak on us and bring up her accomplishments every second sentence. but shes cool.

well atleast for now. who knows what she'll turn in to over the comign weeks.

wait......you are talking about IP right.

edit: just realised the convenor in IP is susanne. different subject then yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)