• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Club Character Notes and Qoutes (1 Viewer)

KeepHoldingOn

HSC
Hey Guys
i have some character notes and qoutes here
they may not help lol

Characters
Laurie: Club coach and an ex-player of the Club. The team has never won a premiership, so the knives are out for him. He is loyal to the players and he is aghast (horrified) when the players are given price tags. He is outspoken against Ted interfering in his coaching and against Jock whom he labels a thug and a hypocrite. He is a decent man who has only the good of the Club and players at heart.

Ted: is Club President and runs a pie factory. He loves every aspect of football. He looks up to Jock and Laurie as two great players. Each of them holds Ted's lack of senior player against him. He really wants his beloved Club to win a Premiership. This ambition leads him into conflict with Laurie when he interferes with coaching. He remains confident that the committee is a hundred per cent behind him. He promises to remain cool and calm, and then a few minutes later abuses his opponents. His drinking led to him hitting a stripper. He becomes a victim of the ambitious schemers, Gerry and Jock which forces him to resign. Ted's heart is always in the right place.

Gerry: considers himself the best football administrator in the country. He is the economics expert who admits that he does not have much love for football or the Club. But he has a burning desire to make the Club the most successful business venture in the game. He is manipulative and confides in with Ted and Laurie and then stabs them in the back. We perhaps admire his skill, but not his methods. He is seen in his true colours at the end when he admits to his fear that the players might start winning and spoil his plans to build a new Club to his specifications.

Jock: in many ways he is the buffoon, the butt for humour. He is ambitious to be President. This requires the removal of Ted which Jock is happy to do. Likewise, he is happy at the prospect of Laurie and Danny being removed. He is not very clever. He lets slip important secrets that should not yet see the light of day. He is a hypocrite in his double dealing with tradition and in his attitude to hitting women. He is proud of his coarseness and his thuggery.

Danny: one of the Club's main players. He is considered saleable by Gerry and Jock. Danny is loyal to his coach and has little time for the administrators of the game. He represents the players.

Geoff: is the opposite of Danny. He has academic qualifications. A naturally gifted footballer but he is disillusioned with the sport and riducles football as a pointless waste of energy. He is into drugs and even takes hash before a game. Laurie's strong words about his responsbility to the game have an effect on Geoff.

Qoutes
Jock: "I played two hundred and eighty-two games for this Club" (Jock is a product of his own myth-making pg 20)

Jock: "Great names from a great Club" (myth making: names of Gods on the wall in the "best" football club pg 21)

Laurie: "Where's his twenty-five years active service?" (Laurie is loyal and honest towards the Club pg 35)

Gerry: "His market price" "The fact remains that there is a market mechanism operating, there is a price on every player" (This is how Gerry sees the world pg 36)

Laurie: "They're men not pigs" (pg 36)

Jock: "Mongrel. What kind of a man hits a woman?" (irony, pg 62)

Gerry: "I don't love the Club and I don't particularly like the game" (most honest Gerry has ever been pg 67)

i hope this helps in some way :)
xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)