clutching at straws... (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sydney University's motto is "Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato".

What does it mean?

Milly

Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato - "Although the constellations change the mind is constant."

laney

HSC
Hey Weisy, no latin 3U is not harder. Infact it's exactly the same stuff. Okay, the text Juvenal, it's kinda hard, but we do it with the teacher (all three of us) and then the teacher just give us the translations, and we just learn them *g*. i love that, teacher's notes.

infact, i'm the worst in the class for 2U i prolly shouldn't have done 3U, but i was running out of subjects to pick *g*.

bye!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
but doesnt the repetitious Cicero make it so much easier to learn - there is no new vocabulary, the sentence structures the same and the ideas are the same

the basic idea of Cicero's speech: ... catiline leave the city! ... catiline you are evil ... i (cicero) am the consul and i (cicero) am the best!
... blah blah blah and that goes on for around 400 lines - eot more could ur want

Milly

True true... however it also makes it boring as hell to sit and learn... and those context questions... man, each passage could have turned up in about five different places, the guy repeats himself so much.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i agree, if there didnt tell you you would have the slightest clue where it came from but what is this stuff about context

anyway the only time i know where the passage is from is when they have specific characters such manlius (maybe not him, he appears everywhere) but people like p. sestius, or gracchi. ... are... its all coming back to me ... (after 3 days straight of studying latin)...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
when i come to think of it, it took me 4 X 3 hr sessions to learn aeneid but it took me like 6 X 2hr sessions to learn cicero because the stuff just gave me a headache ... at least i didnt have to refer to vocab book every line unlike virgil where i checking up words every few seconds, but i think book ii has some pretty psycho scenes such as the snakes ... im rambling on ... maybe ill stop.

The Panda

well... i am officially the slowest

guys, how do u learn the texts so fast? i've been learning aeneid for yonks, like this morning i did 4 hours and got thru maybe 90 lines? so i'm f$#%#$ed!!! wat are ur methods???? i need help here?!
as for the context Q's, past papers are the bomb, plus my teacher has made a full commentary, that he claims, if we study well we'll ace it, coz the dude he taught last year learnt it perfectly and landed and humble 3rd in the state! ehhehehehhe
well i'm tellin u now, if i got 3rd in my school i'd be happy.... just a min there are only 2 ppl in my class:mad1: ehehheheh:(

Milly

Re: well... i am officially the slowest

Not fair! I want to be spoonfed! :p just kidding.

Hmmm yeah I take about the same time as flyin', can't really think *how* I do it, I just sort of grit my teeth and think "The quicker I get through this, the less time I have to spend on the boring translation learning..."

Cicero's relentless repetition --> :teacher: :chainsaw: <-- Latin students

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Hey fellow latin people!!

I have to agree with the MLC girls in how kool latin has been over the years (no I dont go to MLC, im a guy lol). We've had the same class since year 8 and 8 of us have survived. The compeition is killer though, i think the lowest mark in the trial was 85 or sumthing, mebbe it was just easy.

I havent looked at a thing to do with Latin since trials, so i better start today...i just cant bring myself t olearn the texts AGAIN....im only used to learning them the two days before and absolutely killing myself.

virgil kicks ciceros ass. Cicero has been dead for 2000 years, but he stilll gives me the complete shits. Reminds me of some smartass from a firsts debating team....grrrr

at least 3 units not too bad, 3 unit is the best exam of the lot, nice and relaxing....

blagh, gota study :(

ciao!

Milly

Hehe welcome! :D Amazing how all these Latin people just started popping out of the woodwork a week before the exam!

Wow, eight in your class? That's huge! What school do you go to? We went from about 35 in Year 8, to only two. I think that's shameful, sucks to the silly people who dropped Latin to do Economics and whatnot!! :p Anybody here do Greek?

Cicero has been dead for 2000 years, but he stilll gives me the complete shits. Reminds me of some smartass from a firsts debating team....grrrr
Haha that's so true! Except Cicero's worse, because there's no eight-minute time limit after which he's forced to shut up! :rolleyes:

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Im from Trinity...

Speaking of Cicero not stopping talking, i remmeber last year we were doing one f the Verrines, only it was selections, not the whole thing. CHapter one billion and five was "Cicero's Peroration" - only 16 lines. Obvioulsy alselection, I cant imagine he would sum up his pseech in only 16 lines!

does anyone find cicero harder to memorise than virgil? i wish we were doing aeneid 4, like next year, its a better book. Aeneid 2 is good too, but we do all the boring bits like Sinon-the-bore's speech *yawns*. Let me at the killing and fighting!! Romans had all those words for "kill" for a reason lol

Greek? We have one guy doing 3 unit. He's a gun, possible state topper.

An ecos teacher at our school keeps tellin me how i should have done ecos, i would have been good at it blah blah. If I could stay awake! I couldnt believe it when i found out 3 unit latin scaled better than 4 unit maths last year! How mad is that

8/11 of my units are in the top 7 scaled subjects - what a rort!!
heh

laney

HSC
hey, utopian, your school went to that latin study day earlier this year didn't they? well i remember seeing, maybe three trinity people there.....and remember seeing trinity people from latin dinner days....*laughs*

well i'm coming last in latin!! in 3U and 2U. go me!

there's a girl in my class, from yea 9, doing 3U latin, oh my god, she beat me!!

hmmm, i sooooooo hope i can learn the whole translations in 4 days. along with vocab....uh oh....

utopian731

Eudaimonian
yeh we were all there...up at Ravenswood wasnt it??

I dont know why our school keeps hosting the Latin dinner, all the year 12 guys bailed this year hehe, left the year 11's to host it

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
wow...so many people suddenly turn up, very impressive :)

I think too many of us have been oppressed for too long.

Milly and I were going to go to some Latin study day this year, but for some reason didn't end up doing so. We did go to Trinity to listen to the American lady talk about Virgil's characterisation of Aeneas.

It is the day before my chemistry exam, and I've spent most of it doing Latin. *sighs*

Utopian I agree - Virgil's much easier to learn. It has more progressive structure, and there are actually distinct points in the book you can mentally refer to when you're trying to get your mind around the thing.

We did book 4 last year, and come to think of it, I probably would have enjoyed studying it more this year, however I won't concede it's because there are so many more sexual connotations.... :p

As for Cicero...bah! ("Catiline should leave the city because he is an evil cave-manlike creature who displays a lot of 'furor'...and I am an omnipotent consul-orator who often resorts to becoming schizophrenic (although I like to call it prosopopoeia) to maintain interest in my speeches...")

Although I should say that the beauty of Cicero is that having learnt In Catilinam I, one can pretty much do any unseen Ciceronean passage, because it's all the same.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731
yeh we were all there...up at Ravenswood wasnt it??

I dont know why our school keeps hosting the Latin dinner, all the year 12 guys bailed this year hehe, left the year 11's to host it
your school is so steeped in tradition...

you were right to bail. :p

laney

HSC
yeah, we didn't go to the dinner this year, just last year....trinity takes like an hour to get to...

crap, i didn't realise how much there was of this crap to study...and i wanted to go to the beach this weekend - i hate it how everyone else is finished that i know of, and i'm stuck here studying 1000+ lines of latin...grrr....and ummmm....the whole vocab booklet....i am soooooooo dead.... *shrugs* ah well....

just on a different note, i hate how everyone who doesn't do latin totally bags it out. and i reckon it's just THOSE people who never got NOM and ACC. well i don't just do latin cause it scales well, but latin's cool! hey, it is!! *g*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
~~
I think that's shameful, sucks to the silly people who dropped Latin to do Economics and whatnot!! Anybody here do Greek?

~~~

oi.... i do eco and eco is cool (its just that i cant be bothered doing any work) and its on straight after latin (that just gives me the sh***)

anyway... revised Cicero - 1, 6-13 (ill finsih the rest tonight)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
one more thing .... people at sydneygrammar always seem to top greek ... to bad to your friend (im not from grammar)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)