Co op scholarship - UNSW (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Does this mean that you're pretty much guaranteed a job when you're done? :O What will all the leadership stuff do for you? as in benefits, apart from fun...
Yea you will pretty much be guaranteed a job

The leadership stuff is good for people who want to advance their careers quickly ie taking up managerial roles etc

theind1996

HSC
N/A

The leadership stuff is good for people who want to advance their careers quickly ie taking up managerial roles etc
Out of curiosity, what extra curriculars and leadership roles did you have at Baulko?

michaeljennings

HSC
Out of curiosity, what extra curriculars and leadership roles did you have at Baulko?
Off the top of my head
Sport:
- Cricket (Captain)
- Soccer
- Touch footy

Other stuff
- Green group
- Peer Support
- Duke of Ed

And I would volunteer outside of school every now and then, but as you can see im nothing special. In other words its not just academics you need to show that you are well rounded

addoil

HSC
1. if you drop out of co-op, do you have to return every cent that unsw gave you?
2. let's say you drop out in 2nd year, is your scholarship passed onto a 'reserve' that applied in the same year that you did?
3. if you're physically unable to attend the interview, can they interview you over the phone? (eg you're in hospital or you're not in the country)

Beaconite

Banned
HSC
My bro has the co op scholarship, his atar was 99.25 .... He is doing Civil Eng from UNSW,
the selection is based on ur interview :p

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Off the top of my head
Sport:
- Cricket (Captain)
- Soccer
- Touch footy

Other stuff
- Green group
- Peer Support
- Duke of Ed

And I would volunteer outside of school every now and then, but as you can see im nothing special. In other words its not just academics you need to show that you are well rounded
Ahh thanks - is this something that you did only in Yrs 11-12? Or 7-10 too?

michaeljennings

HSC
Ahh thanks - is this something that you did only in Yrs 11-12? Or 7-10 too?
I did the sport from year 7-12 (and weekend sport)
The stuff i listed under 'other stuff' I only did from year 11 onwards, before year 11 i hardly did anything extra curricular not counting sport

1. if you drop out of co-op, do you have to return every cent that unsw gave you?
2. let's say you drop out in 2nd year, is your scholarship passed onto a 'reserve' that applied in the same year that you did?
3. if you're physically unable to attend the interview, can they interview you over the phone? (eg you're in hospital or you're not in the country)
If you drop out/get kicked out you have to pay back however much you received up until your last ITE placement. For example I have my first placement at the end of semester two so if i get kicked out in first semester next year I keep everything I got before my first placement but pay back everything I received after my placement. So in other words your industry placements are like checkpoints,
To your next question it might not be to a reserve who applied when you did, because people who attend uni can apply for coop vacancies (ie if you didnt apply in year 12 you can still apply when youre in uni)
I think if there were circumstances that prevented you from being there then they would do it over the phone I guess, but one of my friends came down from queensland jsut to do it so I think if you make the effort to be there it shows how commited you are. Obviously if youre in hospital or overseas that makes it harder but if you live in a rural area or interstate I think they expect that you will still come into UNSW for the interview

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
My bro has the co op scholarship, his atar was 99.25 .... He is doing Civil Eng from UNSW,
the selection is based on ur interview :p
Wow.. so competitive for that course :O Do you know what they ask for the interview?

That's cool, but don't people normally start their career at the bottom of the food chain? (sorry about the stupid question)

michaeljennings

HSC
Wow.. so competitive for that course :O Do you know what they ask for the interview?

That's cool, but don't people normally start their career at the bottom of the food chain? (sorry about the stupid question)
Yeah thats what i mean, its great for people who want to advance their careers. You start at the bottom but because you possess leadership qualities you have a good chance of getting promoted to managerial positions etc faster than the average employee

daboom69

HSC
Hey I was wondering what atar you achieved??

Off the top of my head
Sport:
- Cricket (Captain)
- Soccer
- Touch footy

Other stuff
- Green group
- Peer Support
- Duke of Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)