co-op scholarships or ubs cadetship (1 Viewer)

frankfurt000

HSC
hey!

currently, im in a bit of a pickle because im being offered the ubs cadetship (tech role), uts coop scholarship and hypothetically might get also get the unsw coop (commerce)

i value being in societies, doing case comps and overall uni life, however i also want to challenge myself with being able to balance both uni and work

i enjoy my hobbies of coding, trading crypto and nfts, and learning new languages so im not sure how ill juggle this if i do ubs

ubs 4 years work experience VS couple internships with coop, will i really be disadvantaged if i chose coop instead of ubs?

anyone been in this dilemma before and have any insight as to which one to choose?
Or, if you've done either of these please expand on your experience :)

thanks!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Didn't need caps in subject.
2. Is the tech role at UBS something you're genuinely interested in, or did you just go for it because it sounded good/was a job with a reputable organisation?
3. Which coop scholarship did you get at UTS?
4. What do you actually want to do career-wise?

Generally speaking, coops are great if you don't really want to commit to a particular company or path, but it basically means you're doing a few internships at different places, getting some "work experience" to try things out, and then having an advantage when it comes to applying for graduate roles (either because you get offered a role directly in one of the sponsors - typically in your final placement, or you have some great perspective/examples/etc to smash the interviews). You are however at the mercy of the allocation of coop placements to sponsors and every program has a few sponsors which noone really wants to work at for whatever reason... and if you have a bad experience for your final placement, then it means you're back in the ring competing with every other graduate (albeit with good examples for the interview).

Cadetships are great if you know that's what you want to do and it's at a firm/company you want to work at since you'll get more progression and experience since you're an actual employee they're invested in (assuming that it's in a role/part of the business which actually does invest in it's people and you're not just the most junior intern getting coffees/snacks for the team). If you do well in this space, it generally means either accelerated progression within the organisation and hence better exit opportunities post-graduation (since you may not want to join as an entry level graduate in another organisation but similar role), or again like coop, it gives you better perspective/examples for graduate program interviews.

frankfurt000

HSC
1. Didn't need caps in subject.
2. Is the tech role at UBS something you're genuinely interested in, or did you just go for it because it sounded good/was a job with a reputable organisation?
3. Which coop scholarship did you get at UTS?
4. What do you actually want to do career-wise?

Generally speaking, coops are great if you don't really want to commit to a particular company or path, but it basically means you're doing a few internships at different places, getting some "work experience" to try things out, and then having an advantage when it comes to applying for graduate roles (either because you get offered a role directly in one of the sponsors - typically in your final placement, or you have some great perspective/examples/etc to smash the interviews). You are however at the mercy of the allocation of coop placements to sponsors and every program has a few sponsors which noone really wants to work at for whatever reason... and if you have a bad experience for your final placement, then it means you're back in the ring competing with every other graduate (albeit with good examples for the interview).

Cadetships are great if you know that's what you want to do and it's at a firm/company you want to work at since you'll get more progression and experience since you're an actual employee they're invested in (assuming that it's in a role/part of the business which actually does invest in it's people and you're not just the most junior intern getting coffees/snacks for the team). If you do well in this space, it generally means either accelerated progression within the organisation and hence better exit opportunities post-graduation (since you may not want to join as an entry level graduate in another organisation but similar role), or again like coop, it gives you better perspective/examples for graduate program interviews.
1. thank you for the notes on changing caps for the subject :)
2. i tried out for ubs not thinking much of it, and suddenly i found myself getting through the interview process and now i have the contract. the tech role is pretty much a glorified call centre support which is kinda shitty but i spoke to other cadets and they said that it would depend on me if i want to shift into other roles
3. the BIT and WEIT UTS scholarship
4. not exactly sure, but smth like technology consulting at a techbased company like FAANG (which is now MAMAA lolll)
i like the travel aspect of consulting and being able to work with a lot of people

thank you for clarifying the differences in both!!

do you think if i went with ubs, could i still utilise the UBS experience and leverage it into a tech company? Or will tech companies look down upon someone with a bankingish background? will it be of help if i do UBS and still want to get into tech?

idkkdi

HSC
hey!

currently, im in a bit of a pickle because im being offered the ubs cadetship (tech role), uts coop scholarship and hypothetically might get also get the unsw coop (commerce)

i value being in societies, doing case comps and overall uni life, however i also want to challenge myself with being able to balance both uni and work

i enjoy my hobbies of coding, trading crypto and nfts, and learning new languages so im not sure how ill juggle this if i do ubs

ubs 4 years work experience VS couple internships with coop, will i really be disadvantaged if i chose coop instead of ubs?

anyone been in this dilemma before and have any insight as to which one to choose?
Or, if you've done either of these please expand on your experience :)

thanks!
tech role and unsw finance coop is quite different. might want to do some research.

baguettebakery

HSC
1. thank you for the notes on changing caps for the subject :)
2. i tried out for ubs not thinking much of it, and suddenly i found myself getting through the interview process and now i have the contract. the tech role is pretty much a glorified call centre support which is kinda shitty but i spoke to other cadets and they said that it would depend on me if i want to shift into other roles
3. the BIT and WEIT UTS scholarship
4. not exactly sure, but smth like technology consulting at a techbased company like FAANG (which is now MAMAA lolll)
i like the travel aspect of consulting and being able to work with a lot of people

thank you for clarifying the differences in both!!

do you think if i went with ubs, could i still utilise the UBS experience and leverage it into a tech company? Or will tech companies look down upon someone with a bankingish background? will it be of help if i do UBS and still want to get into tech?
Hey, I was just wondering how many interviews you had with UBS and when you found out as I had my second interview with them and haven't heard back from them yet. Also, what is the exact name of the tech role because I was applying for coding related one?

Twifulds

Banned
HSC
There are very few people left who still do not know what cryptocurrency is and how to make money in this area. I want to recommend you the site, so that you have the opportunity to get to know a very cool cryptocurrency exchanger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)