• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Co op Scholarships (1 Viewer)

woogie

HSC
Hey, I'm in the Class of 2005 and am wondering if there is any special requirement for Co-op Scholarships beside good marks. What makes people stand out from the pack and do they still give Co ops to Private School kids?

Thanks

fitz33

HSC
mainly extra-curricular activities...basically they're looking for well-rounded people
what school you went to makes no difference

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
what i have found is that Co-Op students are amazing people
they are both smart and social!
smarter than your study everyday and no-life people!
so they are an amazing breed
i'm so jealous

i-color

I also strongly advise you to put whatever course you want to do as your first preference...they say they don't check your UAC preferences, but we suspected they really do......

i-color

I also strongly advise you to put whatever course you want to do in co op as your first preference...they say they don't check your UAC preferences, but we suspected they really do......cos the only people who got interviews from my school were those who put it as first preference.

grimreaper

HSC
Well I did the bronze silver and gold levels of the Duke of Edinburghs award and I'm hopin that in combination with good academic results will get me a co-op scholarship hehe

fitz33

HSC
grimreaper said:
Well I did the bronze silver and gold levels of the Duke of Edinburghs award and I'm hopin that in combination with good academic results will get me a co-op scholarship hehe
what in?
i get to cull some of the actuarial applications soon..should be fun, haha

addz

HSC
i-color said:
I also strongly advise you to put whatever course you want to do in co op as your first preference...they say they don't check your UAC preferences, but we suspected they really do......cos the only people who got interviews from my school were those who put it as first preference.
dont think thats right
i put comm law as my first pref...
but still got interview and the actual co-op (ism) but rejected it but thats besides the point.

but i guess it couldnt hurt if they do happen to check

Last edited:

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
ok so say i apply for 3 choices for co-op i have to put them all in my uac preferences? THis is rather difficult as I really only want to do one course at UNSW, should i only put down one course in co-op form or change my uac preferences to be safe...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
grimreaper said:
i think the interview would be really important. looking at the current coops, these are people who speak and present themselves well and have a personality. so you could be doing heaps of extra ciricular actrivites, but not doing well in that interview could cost you the coop.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
i think the interview would be really important. looking at the current coops, these are people who speak and present themselves well and have a personality. so you could be doing heaps of extra ciricular actrivites, but not doing well in that interview could cost you the coop.
thats not entirely corect. i know of many co ops, and co ops offered to ppl that they rejected later on, and they are not exactly well spoken. ie: not much personality and a bit of a dud.
what are they looking for? top marks and an ability to speak up in an interview. it doesnt matter how good you extra-curricular-ly if you dont have good marks, they wont want you

how do i know this? i had a whole bunch of extra curricular activities (prefect, sports - school and club level, and coached younger teams, peer tutoring, duke of ed, part time work and a few other stuff), but marks not-so-great and didnt get the actuary co op.

call me a bitter old man

Last edited:

aditya

HSC
yeh u are a bitter old man becuase u applied for acturial studies... ofcourse u have to have good marks for a course that is so demanding u retard... seriously have a think...

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
aditya said:
yeh u are a bitter old man becuase u applied for acturial studies... ofcourse u have to have good marks for a course that is so demanding u retard... seriously have a think...
my marks wernt exactly horrific either, i made it into commerce quite comfortably. however why do they say they are looking for everything but marks if marks are the only thing they are looking at.

fitz33

HSC
Exeter said:
my marks wernt exactly horrific either, i made it into commerce quite comfortably. however why do they say they are looking for everything but marks if marks are the only thing they are looking at.
because marks arent the only thing they look at... its often pretty easy to tell who the coops are..especially in things like actuarial studies

also, some people dont make the cut-offs for whatever course but still get in because co-op wants them too because they think they'll be good in the workplace

aditya

HSC
fitz33 said:
because marks arent the only thing they look at... its often pretty easy to tell who the coops are..especially in things like actuarial studies

also, some people dont make the cut-offs for whatever course but still get in because co-op wants them too because they think they'll be good in the workplace

I agree with u Exeter its just that for ACTURIAL STUDIES, u need awesome maths marks as well as being a well-rounded person. Like 95+ in both 3unit four unit maths....

and fitz

wen u say that, the thing about howd theyd be good in teh workplace...

what characteristics would say to them "yes, this is the guy"
i mean wat are the typical things they would love to hear? Are they field related or are they just general values the person holds on how they communicate and relate with other people and their work?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
man im gunna screw my application up

i had to write my 4u trial mark of 58... i was ranked 11/37 ... farkkk thats gunna make em rip my application up >.<

but my 3u rank was good - 6/80 =(

grimreaper

HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
man im gunna screw my application up

i had to write my 4u trial mark of 58... i was ranked 11/37 ... farkkk thats gunna make em rip my application up >.<

but my 3u rank was good - 6/80 =(
hehe I loved writing my 3u down, 1/103

fitz33

HSC
aditya said:
I agree with u Exeter its just that for ACTURIAL STUDIES, u need awesome maths marks as well as being a well-rounded person. Like 95+ in both 3unit four unit maths....

and fitz

wen u say that, the thing about howd theyd be good in teh workplace...

what characteristics would say to them "yes, this is the guy"
i mean wat are the typical things they would love to hear? Are they field related or are they just general values the person holds on how they communicate and relate with other people and their work?
important qualities: good communicator, proven ability to work in teams, leadership skills, enthusiastic about whatever it is your applying for..all that sort of stuff. you dont need to have any sort of actual experience in the field (i think thats what you were asking).
and of course you need good marks..but marks are certainly not the most important thing..they just have to be good enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)