Coastal managemnt Help (1 Viewer)

tasco

Hi Guys,

I have an assessment on developing a coastal management plan. We are given a scenario for which we have to developed a long term management plan. The scenario is:

a) Beach is heavily populated - parallell dunes have been destroyed - except for small section which is owned bu shopping centre developer.

b) The council erected a sea wall a decade ago, however it has increased scouring along the beach.

c) Sand replenishment program has been developed

d) A groyne has been built at the southern marina which has reduced the supply of sediment

How do I approach this? It has to be fairly long - probably around 3 or more pages. Any help?

tasco

I asked the teacher for a map, but he said it was all 'hypothetical' and didnt give us one.

If the groyne is destroyed, wouldnt it effectively close down the marina?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i have no idea. but it would help solve the problem of the lack of sediment.
Although that should proabably be a last resort because it wouldnt make u very popular as a planner. U could truck in sand...

if u drew a map of the imaginary area it would be much easier to explain ur methods in ur report. u could label certain areas "a" and "b" and u could say "refer to map" on multiple occasions! u could possibly zone the beach as well. ie: have areas for residents to swim and sunbake (assuming the beach isnt always choc-a-block) and areas reserved only for vegetation to grow. people walking on sand stirs it up so it can be carried inland and thus, away from the beach. feet and towels on the ground also damages grasses that hold sand. Encourage residents to plant trees or small solid fences so that sand cannot blow inland away from the beach. dont allow the developer to build on the sand-dune site. Destroy the existing sea wall. If THIS beach is all that matters, u could build a wall at the northern end that stretches further out to sea than the groyne so that it catches sand that does get past the groyne...the only problem with this is that OTHER beachs further north will also lose sand...let us assume that this is the most northerly beach in the country! (note: sand flows from south to north via long-shore drift in australia)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)